11/05/17 Weekly Call to Action
Each week, we'll gather the week's most relevant advocacy actions, legislation, and events so that we can target our actions to have the most impact. We'll bring in happenings at the local, state, and national level from several sources so you can have a one-stop shop for your information and advocacy actions. If you come across an item to include in an upcoming Call to Action post, please send us a link through the Contact form on this site. Thanks for your advocacy!!
We are mobilizing to defeat the #TrumpTaxScam!
House Republicans will begin marking up their bill as early as Monday. And the Senate may introduce their bill this week as well. Just like TrumpCare, Republicans’ only chance to get this bill through is if we don’t make enough noise. But, if we show national, mobilized, local opposition to this scam before most members of Congress (MoCs) make up their mind, we can stop them in their tracks.
And. we. can. win.
Calls to Action- Do These Things!
Local Actions this Week
VOTING IS UNDERWAY FOR 2017- THIS IS HAPPENING!
TUESDAY IS ELECTION DAY! It’s too late to mail your ballot. Post pics online of you dropping off your ballot and share them far and wide (yes, it's legal). Do your research on the candidates in your district at ifrr.wiki. Phone bank and canvass for your candidates. Encourage others to vote by continuing to talk about election time. http://www.justvotecolorado.org/ is a great resources for voting information. THIS IS THE MOST IMPORTANT THING YOU CAN DO THIS WEEK
- Boulder Voters can access General Election Information and City Council candidate videos here.
- Longmont Voters can access City Council candidate and committee information here
School Board Elections Matter
- Do you know your school board candidates? Find out who they are at https://indivisiblefrr.org/wiki/index.php?title=Colorado_elections_project.
State Actions this Week
The Trump Tax Scam would give massive tax cuts to the wealthy. It’s designed that way: it lowers the tax rate for wealthy individuals and phases out or outright repeals other provisions, like the estate tax and the alternative minimum tax. That only benefits the wealthy because those taxes only affect the wealthy—and there’s nothing that benefits the middle class that isn’t wiped out by some other change the Tax Scam makes.
1. First- mark your calendar for November 14. Our sister organization in CD6 is planning an action to pressure Mike Coffman to vote NO on this scam and they need our help. Details here:
2. Next, call your MOC every day this week. For scripts for calling Cory Gardner (or other Republican MOCs) go here:
Scripts for calling Michael Bennet or Diana DeGette (or other Democratic MOCs):
OR use the script below:
SCRIPT: “I want you to vote no on the current tax plan. This plan does NOT relieve the financial burden on middle class wage earners. The estate (“death”) tax repeal only helps if we stand to inherit $11M or more. I am against any reductions in funding to Medicare, Medicaid, and the Affordable Care Act. AND I am firmly against caps to 401(k) policies that will shrink growth in my portfolio. I expect [Congressman / Senator] to vote against any tax bill that gives *one penny* in tax cuts to the 1% or corporations by cutting programs that the rest of us depend on.”
3. MARK YOUR CALENDAR FOR OUR GOVERNOR’S CANDIDATE FORUM on 11/12/17
Colorado mid-term elections are just one year away, caucuses are in March, and there is an open Governor's race on the ballot. On Sunday November 12th, residents of Colorado will have the opportunity to meet the candidates running for Governor and hear their positions on the issues that matter most to our communities. This forum will consist of three topic blocks with questions collected from the public in between.
FIND THE PHONE #s FOR YOUR U.S. REPRESENTATIVES AND SENATORS HERE: https://docs.google.com/document/d/1BL1dJ2vENTGCo0NbOLxy7rxhk3AY95dgvv6F84S13PQ/edit#bookmark=id.wavu32e4rd74
National Actions this Week- From our National Indivisible Coalition in Washington, D.C.
1. National Call In Day, 11/2: After Republicans drop their bill on Wednesday, we’ll email you with our full analysis, call scripts, and contact information so you can let your MoCs how you feel about their scammy bill. Many of our national allies are planning a national call in day on Thursday, November 2, so mark your calendars, start reading call scripts (click here for your Democratic MoCs and here for your Republican MoCs), and get ready to light up those phone lines!
2. Help Virginia turn blue. Virginians go to the polls next Tuesday in the first state-wide elections since Trump was elected. This is the first real test of our movement’s ability to turn the resistance into electoral power and we. can. WIN. Our organizing team teamed up with Democracy for America and MoveOn.org to build a tool (similar to our blue state calling tool from the healthcare fight!) where you can call or text voters in Virginia to encourage them to vote. Sign up now to volunteer before election day!
3. Don’t let Trump sabotage the Affordable Care Act. Trump and the GOP are doing whatever they can to sabotage the ACA through Executive Order, inaction, and misinformation. To combat the Trump Administration, we’ve built the most comprehensive website about open enrollment and we’re running an online campaign to get our resources in as many people’s hands as possible. Pass this along to people you know that can use it.
Upcoming Legislation - Watch these bills!
Healthcare (National Level) - S.B. 1970- Medicaid X -Choice Act of 2017
Upcoming Events - Go to these places!
Saturday, November 11, 2017 - 10 AM
2017 Tour de Frack
By 350 Northern Colorado
Sunday, November 12, 2017- 12 PM
Governor Candidate Forum on Energy, Immigration & Elections