11/12/17 Weekly Call to Action
Each week, we'll gather the week's most relevant advocacy actions, legislation, and events so that we can target our actions to have the most impact. We'll bring in happenings at the local, state, and national level from several sources so you can have a one-stop shop for your information and advocacy actions. If you come across an item to include in an upcoming Call to Action post, please send us a link through the Contact form on this site. Thanks for your advocacy!!
This was a BIG week for Indivisibles. We rallied against the #TrumpTaxScam, saw some of our top targets announce their retirement from Congress, and Indivisibles pitched in to win critical elections in Virginia, Michigan, New Jersey, and beyond (and even won some of their own!).
Now it's time to keep winning.
Calls to Action- Do These Things!
Local Actions this Week
Boulder City Council Special Meeting- Tuesday, Nov. 14 at 6 p.m.
Public hearings:-- Consideration of a motion to approve two changes to the Boulder Valley Comprehensive Plan: 1) change the area of Knollwood from Area III-Rural Preservation to Area II (City of Boulder service area); and 2) change the Spring Valley Estates from outside of the Planning Area boundary to Area II and assign a land use designation of very low density residential
-- Liquor Occupation Tax discussion for Manufacturer’s and Wholesaler’s License.
2. Regulation of sexually violent predators, with potential council direction.
State Actions this Week
1. TAX SCAM ACTION
Attend A Very Special Tuesday with Coffman - Say No to Trump’s Tax Scam. Tues, 11/14, 1pm-2pm, 3300 South Parker Road, Aurora. He is a key vote, so show up to tell him that we won’t roll over for tax cuts to the wealthy. A Very Special Tuesday with Coffman
Make your calls. Call scripts here: Call scripts for House Democrats are here, and call scripts for your Republican representatives are here.
Write a letter to the editor (LTE). Readers need to know what’s at stake as they head into Thanksgiving. Here’s a guide on writing a LTE on the Tax Scam: LTE Tax Scam Guide
2. DREAM ACT ACTION
To stand indivisible means to treat an attack on one as an attack on all. Call on your MOCs to sign the DREAMer Pledge. This says that if they hasn’t passed the DREAM Act by December 8th, then they will insist on it being part of the December spending bill. They will refuse to pass a budget that doesn’t contain a clean DREAM Act.
3. IT’S WAY PAST TIME FOR SOME REASONABLE GUN CONTROL.
When will enough be enough? Senator Feinstein introduced Senate Bill 2095: “A bill to regulate assault weapons, to ensure that the right to keep and bear arms is not unlimited, and for other purposes.” This bill bans assault rifles and bump stocks. It has 24 co-sponsors, and Senators Bennet and Gardner are not among them. Please call Bennet and Gardner and ask them to co-sponsor this important and reasonable bill.
FIND THE PHONE #s FOR YOUR U.S. REPRESENTATIVES AND SENATORS HERE: https://docs.google.com/document/d/1BL1dJ2vENTGCo0NbOLxy7rxhk3AY95dgvv6F84S13PQ/edit#bookmark=id.wavu32e4rd74
National Actions this Week- From our National Indivisible Coalition in Washington, D.C.
- The House votes on the Trump Tax Scam THIS WEEK, so WE NEED TO KEEP THE PRESSURE ON. Call scripts for House Democrats are here, and call scripts for your Republican representatives are here.
The Senate is moving quickly on their own version of the Tax Scam (yes, it’s just as bad). The time is now to let your Senators know you’re watching. We set up this tool to send a letter to the editor of your local newspaper. Use the tool to let your Senator know you expect them to vote no on the #TrumpTaxScam and let more people in your community know just what they’re trying to do.
- The best shot we have to pass a clean DREAM Act is as part of the budget in the beginning of December. Demand your members of Congress (MoCs) take the DREAMer pledge TODAY. At DREAMerPledge.org, we’re calling on every member of Congress to refuse to pass a budget that doesn’t include a clean DREAM Act. The sooner we ramp up the pressure, the faster we can win protection for 800,000 of immigrant youth.
- Get started building power ahead of 2018 at Indivisible435.org. Indivisible435 is a bold vision and a comprehensive set of tools for Indivisible groups to build power and expand the electorate in every single congressional district in 2018. Check out our current resources and voter registration tool, and get ready to get to work.
- Join us this Thursday, November 16 at 8pm ET/5pm ET for our latest webinar: Build better teams → get more done → build more power. On our next webinar, you’ll learn how to structure your group to accomplish more and stress out less. Our national organizing team talked with organizational experts to come up with the best guidance possible. RSVP for the webinar here!
Upcoming Legislation - Watch these bills!
Energy/Environment/Science (National Level) - H.R. 2874- 21st Century Flood Reform Act
Upcoming Events - Go to these places!
Sunday, November 19, 2017- 12 PM
Tough Holiday Talks: Tools and Tactics for a Better Outcome
Alfalfa's Market (Louisville, CO) in Louisville, Colorado
Sunday, November 19, 2017- 3:30 PM
Indivisible Boulder 2017 November meeting
1001 Arapahoe Ave, Boulder, CO 80302-6015, United States