11/19/17 Weekly Call to Action
Each week, we'll gather the week's most relevant advocacy actions, legislation, and events so that we can target our actions to have the most impact. We'll bring in happenings at the local, state, and national level from several sources so you can have a one-stop shop for your information and advocacy actions. If you come across an item to include in an upcoming Call to Action post, please send us a link through the Contact form on this site. Thanks for your advocacy!!
Senator Jim Inhofe (R-OK) was asked by a reporter if repealing the Affordable Care Act's Individual Mandate's would be a “death blow” to the law. Inhofe said, “I hope so.” Don’t let Inhofe, the GOP, and Trump get away with tax cuts for billionaires AND providing the “death blow” for the ACA in one fell swoop.
We have to make sure that we stop the Senate from passing its TrumpCare/Tax Scam bill!
Calls to Action- Do These Things!
Local Actions this Week
Boulder City Council does not meet this week. Other things are moving slowly due to the Thanksgiving holiday. We hope it's a joyful one for you and yours!
State Actions this Week
1. TAX SCAM ACTION- Tuesday at 12 PM - 1:30 PM
It's Time to Take the Tax Scam Fight to Cory Gardner
Senator Gardner's office, 721 19th St. (suite 150)
2. PUEBLO TOWN HALL with U.S. Senator Cory Gardner (R-CO)- Monday, November 20th, 11:30 a.m. – 1:00 p.m.; Doors open at 10:30 a.m. MT
Pueblo Convention Center 320 Central Main St, Pueblo, CO 81003 (Please use the SRDA parking lot (located off Alan Hammel between Union Ave and Central Main Street)
3. DREAM ACT ACTION
To stand indivisible means to treat an attack on one as an attack on all. Call on your MOCs to sign the DREAMer Pledge. This says that if they hasn’t passed the DREAM Act by December 8th, then they will insist on it being part of the December spending bill. They will refuse to pass a budget that doesn’t contain a clean DREAM Act.
4. IT’S WAY PAST TIME FOR SOME REASONABLE GUN CONTROL.
When will enough be enough? Senator Feinstein introduced Senate Bill 2095: “A bill to regulate assault weapons, to ensure that the right to keep and bear arms is not unlimited, and for other purposes.” This bill bans assault rifles and bump stocks. It has 24 co-sponsors, and Senators Bennet and Gardner are not among them. Please call Bennet and Gardner and ask them to co-sponsor this important and reasonable bill.
FIND THE PHONE #s FOR YOUR U.S. REPRESENTATIVES AND SENATORS HERE: https://docs.google.com/document/d/1BL1dJ2vENTGCo0NbOLxy7rxhk3AY95dgvv6F84S13PQ/edit#bookmark=id.wavu32e4rd74
National Actions this Week- From our National Indivisible Coalition in Washington, D.C.
- Join us in defeating the Tax Scam. Make. a. Phone. Call. NOW. Senate Republicans have combined their Tax Scam with zombie TrumpCare and need to hear from you right now. We’ve set up a toll-free number to make it even easier for you and members of your group to share the number and make a call to stop the scam: 1-855-980-2350. Your voice will be the difference in this fight. We have Democratic call scripts and Republican call scripts to help guide your conversations with your Senators!
- Schedule a visit to your Senators’ state offices ASAP. It’s almost Thanksgiving, but many offices will be open on Monday, Tuesday, and part of the day on Wednesday. And we need to be L-O-U-D. Use our organizing toolkit to plan a visit and then register your event here.
- Pass a clean DREAM Act. Our best shot is to pass it as part of the budget in the beginning of December. Demand your members of Congress (MoCs) take the DREAMer pledge TODAY. At DREAMerPledge.org, we’re calling on every member of Congress to refuse to pass a budget that doesn’t include a clean DREAM Act. The sooner we ramp up the pressure, the faster we can win protection for 800,000 of immigrant youth.
- Get started building power ahead of 2018 at Indivisible435.org. Indivisible435 is a bold vision and a comprehensive set of tools for Indivisible groups to build power and expand the electorate in every single congressional district in 2018. Check out our current resources and voter registration tool, and get ready to get to work.
Upcoming Legislation - Watch these bills!
Upcoming Events - Go to these places!
Monday, November 20- 10:30 AM
Tuesday, November 21- 2 PM
Aurora, Pueblo, Denver - details below