12/03/17 Weekly Call to Action
Each week, we'll gather the week's most relevant advocacy actions, legislation, and events so that we can target our actions to have the most impact. We'll bring in happenings at the local, state, and national level from several sources so you can have a one-stop shop for your information and advocacy actions. If you come across an item to include in an upcoming Call to Action post, please send us a link through the Contact form on this site. Thanks for your advocacy!!
We won’t sugar coat it: the Senate’s vote for the Trump Tax Scam early this weekend is a tough loss. But remember, it’s December, and this is the very first time Republicans might actually put up a major legislative victory. Let that sink in, that nearly a year has gone by without a big win: that’s a huge testament to your strength and resilience.
You led the way on this fight: showing up at town halls, making the calls, sitting in at offices. You did everything right. THANK YOU. We will keep fighting and it will keep paying off.
Call to Action - Do these things!
Boulder City Council Meeting- Tuesday, Dec. 5 at 6 p.m.
Boulder Shelter for the Homeless Management Plan Update
- Second reading and consideration of a motion to adopt two ordinances implementing tax measures approved by the voters on Nov. 7: 1) extension and increase of the utility occupation tax on public utility companies to fund costs of the municipal electric utility, and 2) extension of the 0.3 percent sales and use tax for capital improvements.
1. STOP THE TAX SCAM
Join us tomorrow EARLY in Denver to greet Gardner staff. They haven't been open all last week. Will they open their office tomorrow? We need to find out. Can you come? You can join us here
2. ALL EYES ON COFFMAN NOW.
Mike Coffman in CD6 is a major Indivisible target to vote NO on the tax bill, according to Americans for Tax Fairness. Luckily, our sister Indivisible group CD6 has it covered with this event. You do NOT need to be a CD6er to attend this - just get out and support them; make some noise!! Here is what you need to know.
3. REMOVING PROVISIONS OF NET NEUTRALITY
Will be voted on by five people on Dec 14th. TWO people are already NO votes. We need ONE more NO vote. Do these things:
EMAIL Brendan Carr (email@example.com) and Michael O'Rielly (firstname.lastname@example.org) - these are the two holdouts. Here's a script for what to say.
CALL 1-202-418-1000 to reach the voicemail of the Chairman of the FCC. Say your name, city, and state and that you oppose the repeal of Net Neutrality. It takes 12 seconds :)
CALL your members of congress and tell them to reach out to FCC and stop this vote.
So many priorities we care about are on the chopping block in the #TrumpTaxScam, like slashing funding to Medicaid, Medicare, and Social Security. Here is what to do:
- Let your Republican Senator know how mad you are that they just voted to raise your taxes, increase your premiums, and leave 13 million more people uninsured. Schedule a visit to their district offices for early next week and light up their phones.
- If you have a Democratic Senator, pivot your anger into the next fight for a DREAM Act. There are two things to do. First: Call your Senator to tell them to take the Dreamer Pledge: a commitment to stand up for Dreamers and only pass a continuing resolution (CR) that includes the DREAM Act. Second: Find local immigrant-led groups near you and join the national Day of Action on December 6th--check out United We Dream’s site to get you started. Or show your solidarity by organizing your own event!
- Build relationships for the long haul. Next Thursday, Indivisible’s organizing team will host a webinar on relationship building and 1:1 meetings -- two essential skills for organizing. RSVP here for the webinar at 8:30 PM Eastern on Thursday December 7.
Upcoming Legislation - Watch these bills!
Education (National) - H.R. 4336: College Completion and Success Act