12/10/17 Weekly Call to Action
Each week, we'll gather the week's most relevant advocacy actions, legislation, and events so that we can target our actions to have the most impact. We'll bring in happenings at the local, state, and national level from several sources so you can have a one-stop shop for your information and advocacy actions. If you come across an item to include in an upcoming Call to Action post, please send us a link through the Contact form on this site. Thanks for your advocacy!!
On Friday, Republican members of the Conference Committee announced that it will take longer than expected to finish the next version of the bill. That’s a good sign: there are big differences between the bills that will be tough to resolve. This is the moment to keep the heat on Republicans. Throughout the fall, Indivisibles have been organizing events at local congressional offices to stop the tax scam. Those events worked: this bill is more unpopular than any other tax bill in history, and the final votes will be very close.
Let’s keep doing what works. See the whole state of play for the Tax Scam here.
Call to Action - Do these things!
There is No Boulder City Council Meeting this week. The next one is December 19.
1. SUPPORT Congressional District 6: Coffman is vulnerable on the tax bill. And our sister district CD6 needs our help. Can you attend their December 12th rally? Or can you help another person attend by offering to babysit? Media will be there and we need to have a good showing. We can do this!
2. SAVE NET NEUTRALITY will be voted on by 5 people on Dec 14th. Senator Bennet has joined others asking for an extension given the corruption of the comments process. TWO people are already NO votes on repeal. We need ONE more NO vote. Do these things:
- EMAIL Brendan (email@example.com) and Michael (firstname.lastname@example.org) - these are the two holdouts. Here's a script: https://www.facebook.com/katie.kelly.45/posts/1926939087634184
- CALL 1-202-418-1000 to reach the voicemail of the Chairman of the FCC. Say your name, city, and state and that you oppose the repeal of Net Neutrality. Takes 12 seconds.
- CALL your members of congress and tell them to reach out to FCC and stop this vote.
3. ADVOCATE FOR THOSE WHO DEPEND ON MASS TRANSIT: RTD is currently working on changing how low income individuals and families can access passes. Currently limited discounted passes are available to Non-Profit Organizations (NPO's), there is a sliding scale available for individuals to purchase, and there are student passes given through schools. They are looking at moving to only one method of access for low income residents. It is believed they will be pushing to only offer a sliding scale option, and it will be accessible to less people. Though the leadership team is currently being non-responsive to requests we can all start to contact our RTD Board Members, http://www.rtd-denver.com/BoardDirectors.shtml . We need to let them know that we want an equitable solution that will continue to support NPO’s, a reflective sliding scale to Denver Metro’s cost of living, and to continue to support the student pass program. And plan to attend the December 19 meeting. More info here! https://www.facebook.com/events/804449683072746/
4. GET INVOLVED WITH Colorado Democratic Party: If you want to learn more about how the Colorado Democratic Party is getting ready to flip seats blue in 2018, there is no better way to do it than to start getting involved now! Go here for opportunities: https://www.coloradodems.org/
- Raise the heat to stop the Tax Scam: Republicans from the House and Senate are negotiating a combined Tax Scam bill. When they finish, it comes back up for a vote in each chamber - and it will be close, again. Now is the time to say that we WILL NOT accept a handout to millionaires and billionaires. Put the pressure on with a Trump Tax Scam payout event -- and don’t be afraid to get a bit creative when you do. Register your event here so people near you can find your event and show up.
- Protect DREAMers: For three months, Democrats said that they would use the leverage they would have on the December government spending bill (“CR”)to protect DREAMers. But just 8 Senate Democrats kept their word by voting against the CR. The rest voted to deport Dreamers. If you have a Democratic Senator, call to make sure they follow through on Dec. 22, the next opportunity they’ll have to fight with Dreamers.
- Get to know your government a bit better: Indivisible’s policy team is hosting a Policy 101 webinar this coming Thursday, December 14 at 8 PM Eastern to get everyone better acquainted with how Congress works and where we can make the most impact. RSVP for the Policy 101 webinar here.
FIND THE PHONE #s FOR YOUR U.S. REPRESENTATIVES AND SENATORS HERE: https://docs.google.com/document/d/1BL1dJ2vENTGCo0NbOLxy7rxhk3AY95dgvv6F84S13PQ/edit#bookmark=id.wavu32e4rd74
Upcoming Legislation - Watch these bills!
Foreign Affairs (National) - S.B. 1901: LEED Act