7/24 Weekly Call to Action
Each week, we'll gather the week's most relevant advocacy actions, legislation, and events so that we can target our actions to have the most impact. We'll bring in happenings at the local, state, and national level from several sources so you can have a one-stop shop for your information and advocacy actions. If you come across an item to include in an upcoming Call to Action post, please send us a link through the Contact form on this site. Thanks for your advocacy!!
We scored a pretty major victory when the "repeal-and-replace" bill was killed in the Senate last week, and that's cause for celebration! However, we must still work against a "repeal-only" bill getting pushed through just to maintain the Republican's narrative that something has happened. Stay vigilant!
Call to Action - Do these things!
Attend a local healthcare rally! There are several rallies in the area to push against a "repeal only" healthcare bill. Get to one of them (this is one of the state-wide coordinated actions listed in the State Actions section below). Here are two that them state Indivisible team is coordinating action around:
- Tuesday, July 25th, 6 am – 7 am: VOTE NO morning vigil at Senator Gardner's office
- Saturday, July 29th, 10 am – noon: Colorado Lives on The Line Rally at City Park, Denver, CO
Call about one other issue than healthcare! We know, healthcare is very pressing and worrying. But don't forget the several other bills that are making their way through Congress. Check out the Legislation page on this site for more information about many bills in the works now. Three in particular that we think are important this week can be found in the Upcoming Legislation section below.
From the amazing Indivisible Front Range Resistance team, our weekly coordinated actions are:
- ★ FLOOD THE PHONE FOR HEALTH CARE! It is said the Senate will vote on Healthcare on Tuesday. WHAT they are going to vote on is still unclear – but probably a repeal with a vague promise to replace in the future. YOU HAVE ONLY ONE THING TO DO MONDAY AND TUESDAY – CALL, CALL CALL. Call Gardner’s offices (DC office: 202-224-5941)and tell him repeal is not the answer – a bipartisan solution is.
- ★SHOW UP FOR HEALTHCARE! There are TWO rallies this week – make plans to be at one of them. See the Local Actions section above for more details.
- JOIN INDIVISIBLE DENVER CD1 FAMILY PICNIC! Sunday, July 30th, 4 pm (info here). We will meet up in the area marked by the "X", same as last time. Bring your own games, foods and drinks. Remember, the food trucks will be there if you run out of time. Watch for our Indivisible Denver banner. Hope to see you. We will come up with a few easy actions and games - Truth or Dare was a big hit last time!!
- ★ SIGN UP FOR A CARDBOARD CORY EVENT! We are planning a STATEWIDE July-August actions for Senator Cory Gardner. It involves some cardboard, some street corners, and 6-8 cities across the state. The purpose will be to keep Cory Gardner in the spotlight, since he can’t find it on his own. Sign up to participate here.
Remember, ★ indicates a statewide call to action being shared across CO Indivisible groups! Get your Member of Congress phone and addresses here
From the national Indivisible Guide team:
First off, congratulations on a successful first National Day of Action this week! Together, you held over 170 events in nearly 40 states and the District of Columbia to stop RepubliCare. This is no small feat, and we couldn’t be prouder to be part of this movement with all of you.
After feedback from group leaders like you, we wanted to be sure that you stay up-to-date with what’s happening on Capitol Hill using our Capitol Calendar. Our Policy Team will be updating throughout the week with key developments from Washington.
RepubliCare isn’t dead yet.
McConnell wanted a vote this week and he didn’t get it. You and your fellow Indivisible groups and local resisters did that. This is a huge accomplishment and we should celebrate it, but we should not confuse it for a final victory. RepubliCare is not dead yet. Repeat: RepubliCare. Is. Not. Dead. Yet. Senate Majority Leader Mitch McConnell is now twisting arms and offering new bribes to get it over the finish line.
Our new explainer and sample script tells you how McConnell is pulling out all the stops to try and give RepubliCare new life, and explains how you can tell your senator to fight back.
Two truths and a lie: This week in CBO scores.
This week, three different scores came out about various versions of the GOP health care plan (see our explainer on these scores):
Two real scores from the nonpartisan Congressional Budget Office (CBO)—one on a revised version of Senate RepubliCare, and one on a simple repeal bill, both showing that millions lose coverage and costs significantly increase.
One fake “score” from the very partisan Trump administration’s Department of Health and Human Services (HHS) on the Cruz Amendment, which allows insurance companies to provide less coverage and skirt consumer protections. See our explainer and script on the Cruz Amendment.
Separate the fact from fiction as you keep the pressure on your senators this week.
Friday night news dump from Republicans! As we drafted this email, we got HUGE news on RepubliCare. The Senate Parliamentarian just ruled that a long list of provisions don’t follow the rules of the special reconciliation process Republicans are using to jam RepubliCare through the Senate with only 50 votes. (See our explainer on “the Byrd Rule.”) That means they either have to take those provisions out, find 60 votes to pass them, or break decades of precedent and overrule the Senate Parliamentarian.
Next steps for RepubliCare—and what you can do to stop it (again).
McConnell is pushing yet again for a vote next week on a bill to fully repeal the ACA without a replacement in sight. This is called a “clean repeal,” and it would have catastrophic consequences. You can use our new explainer to know the facts on “clean repeal” and hold your MoC accountable.
We estimate the first procedural vote—the “Motion to Proceed”—to take place as early as Tuesday. If that passes, the Senate will debate the bill until Thursday, and then vote on final passage.
Urge your senator to vote NO on the motion to proceed on the clean repeal bill. If you thought RepubliCare was bad, a clean repeal is even worse. Keep up those office visits, protests, and calls. We’ve got a new call script right here.
Stand up for immigrants
No matter which way Trump’s agenda goes on healthcare, we know he will try to score political points with his base by attacking immigrants. That’s why we’ve partnered with the National Immigration Law Center (NILC) and United We Dream to launch standup.indivisibleguide.com—a hub for resources to fight Trump’s multipronged attack on immigrant communities and to support our immigrant neighbors.
- Tell your MoCs to oppose any budget that finances Trump’s mass deportation agenda using our new explainer. Your representative could vote on a spending bill as early as Tuesday that includes $1.6 billion for Trump’s border wall—call and tell them to deny the request and #DefundHate
- Tell your senators to support the bipartisan DREAM Act using this new explainer. The DREAM Act would be a permanent legislative fix to the terrifying problem that many young immigrants face: their legal status under Pres. Obama’s DACA program could be ripped away by Trump at any moment.
Help the Consumer Financial Protection Bureau help you
There’s one agency in Washington swimming against the Trump tide, and it needs your help: the Consumer Financial Protection Bureau (CFPB) just restored your ability take collective legal action against big corporate players like Wells Fargo when they break the law. But Trump’s friends in the House are voting to repeal this important new rule on Tuesday. Tell your MoC to leave the “Arbitration rule” in place and let the CFPB protect your rights without interference.
Upcoming Events - Go to these places!
5pm-8pm -- Medicare for All March - Boulder, CO
6pm-8pm -- Booze & Ballots (Golden)
2pm-3pm -- Protest Senator Gardner's Donors (Pearl Street Mall)
Save the Date! August will be full of recess events like flurry of Cardboard Corey sightings! Additionally, potential Senate candidate Trish Zornio will be holding a town hall in mid-August. Check out the Indivisible Boulder Facebook group events page to stay on top of all of these events and RSVP if you plan to attend!