6/19 Weekly Call to Action
Each week, we'll gather the week's most relevant advocacy actions, legislation, and events so that we can target our actions to have the most impact. We'll bring in happenings at the local, state, and national level from several sources so you can have a one-stop shop for your information and advocacy actions. If you come across an item to include in an upcoming Call to Action post, please send us a link through the Contact form on this site. Thanks for your advocacy!!
Only a few more days to go before the July recess - if Senate Republicans think they can push through their healthcare bill before then, let's make sure they know that we won't let that happen!
Call to Action - Do these things!
Attend the Boulder City Council Meeting to speak up in the public hearing sections! Tuesday, June 20 at 6pm. The city council will be discussing the sugar-sweetened beverage tax (which goes into effect on July 1), the city's long-term homelessness strategy, and other issues. They will be hearing public comments for these issues, so if you have any expertise in these subjects make sure to help the city out!
Attend the Indivisible Boulder Monthly Meeting! Thursday, June 22, 5:30pm at Arapahoe Branch of the Boulder Public Library. We'll have two speakers at our meeting. Our first speaker is Eric Budd who is running for Boulder City Council. Then we will have Jason Legg with Strengthening Democracy Colorado, who are working "to improve the representativeness and integrity of Colorado's government and its responsiveness to its citizens." RSVP here so that we can have an accurate count of the numbers.
Get to Sen. Gardner's office and defend healthcare! Friday, June 23rd 11 am – 1 pm. Join Faith in Public Life who will be bringing clergy and nuns to deliver a moral declaration (!) to Gardner's office on healthcare. We will meet at Skyline Park, next to the Chase building. RSVP here.
Attend the Boulder Resistance Community Potluck! Saturday, June 24th from 5-8pm at the Martin Park Shelter. Join other progressive neighbors and families at Martin Park to enjoy food and celebrate what we have accomplished. Complete details and RSVP here.
Attend the Indivisible Denver (CD1) picnic! Sunday, June 25 4-8pm in City Park, Denver. This month, in lieu of their regular Sunday community meeting they are having a picnic in the park. Join them for a social event with a little bit of action on the side this Sunday with your fellow Indivisibles. Get to know your fellow Resisters and enjoy Jazz in the Park too. Complete details and RSVP here.
From the state-wide Indivisible Front Range Resistance team:
There are only 10 days left for us to resist the Senate version of AHCA. We had a great impact last Friday at our sit-in at Gardner’s office - check out the video:
The phones are ringing – but we must keep this pressure on for another 10 days. The theme for the coming week is: BIPARTISAN PRESSURE.
1) VOTE-A-RAMA: PUT THE PRESSURE ON BENNET: A lot of our attention thus far has been placed on Gardner. But did you know that Bennet & the Senate Dems actually COULD do something about this if they wanted to? It's true. Because the Senate GOP is using budget reconciliation to force this bill through with 51 votes, it's required to go through an extensive amendment process. Let's get more specific: The Democrats can introduce an unlimited number of amendments to the bill, all of which have to get voted on before the bill itself is considered on the floor. In other words: we can filibuster! Learn more here.
THIS WEEK: Flood Bennet's DC & local offices with calls: (303) 455 7600, (202) 224 5852. Tell him:
- Your name [FIRST, LAST], and your ZIP CODE
- Thank him for taking a stand against the AHCA
- Tell him the “No Hearing, No Vote Act” doesn’t go far enough (https://www.bennet.senate.gov/?p=release&id=3949)
- Ask him to use the reconciliation process to legitimately stop this bill.
- Ask him to lead his fellow Senate Democrats in promising to filibuster the GOP's healthcare bill through the 2018 midterms by using the amendment process if they persist in drafting the bill in secrecy. Vote-a-rama is a tool of the minority opposition. Please use it.
2) KEEP THE PRESSURE ON CORY: CALL SENATOR GARDNER EVERY DAY this week. 202-224-5941. You can alternate between three arguments (or post your OWN in the comments below):
- ARGUMENT #1: Healthcare is a RIGHT. Medicare for all is the only way to ensure that every American is covered and never has to worry that they will not be able to have LIFE, liberty, and the pursuit of happiness.
- ARGUMENT #2: Healthcare is 1/6th of the economy. Are you FOR REAL not going to allow any hearings on this bill before voting? Obamacare adopted republican amendments. There were hearings. This bill is being rushed through to a vote BECAUSE IT STINKS. Are you ok with that?
- ARGUMENT #3: Cory Gardner said in March that he was concerned about the harm AHCA would do to Medicaid expansion in CO. Apparently the Senate bill simply slows cuts to Medicaid by 7 years, is Gardner ok with that? WHAT is he doing to protect children and rural communities from the damage done by medicaid expansion cuts?
From the national Indivisible Guide team:
We cannot stress enough how critical the next few days are for stopping RepubliCare. Senate Majority Leader Mitch McConnell is working tirelessly to get the votes he needs to pass RepubliCare, and he’s almost got them. Only grassroots pressure will stop this terrible bill from getting through the Senate. The time to resist is now.
Let us be clear: Mitch McConnell will not schedule a vote on this bill unless he knows he’s sure he has enough votes to get it through. So if we wait until a vote is scheduled, it’ll be too late. Whether you have a Democratic or Republican Senator, the time to fight back is now.
Act Indivisible: Your Weekly To-Dos
- First, visit TrumpCareTen.org to see our new resources. You’ll find our Stop RepubliCare/TrumpCare in June Action Plan, containing everything you need to keep the Senate from ripping health care away from 23 million people.
- As a reminder, these are the asks you should be making of your Senators and it’s critical that we turn up the heat:
- For Democrats—it’s not enough for them to say they oppose RepubliCare. They need to resist, too. Demand that they slow down Senate business by withholding consent, and prepare to filibuster by amendment until and unless there are public hearings on RepubliCare.
- For Republicans—keep calling, keep visiting local offices, plan coordinated sit-ins as soon as possible. The time to act is now. See our toolkit for guidance.
- If you live in the ten frontline states—Maine, Alaska, West Virginia, Arizona, Nevada, Colorado, Louisiana, Arkansas, Pennsylvania, and Ohio—organize a coordinated sit-in as soon as possible. We also have daily call scripts for you to use, as well as a digital toolkit to spread the word.
Upcoming Legislation - Watch these bills!
Immigration (National) - H.R. 2581: Verify First Act
Education (National) - H.R.2845: Jumpstart on College Act
Education, Energy (National) - H.R.627: Streamlining Energy Efficiency for Schools Act of 2017
Military Personnel, Immigration (National) - H.R.2346: Support and Defend Our Military Personnel and Their Families Act
Upcoming Events - Go to these places!
7pm-9pm - Immigration 101 for Allies - Boulder
5:30-7:30pm - Indivisible Boulder monthly meeting
5pm-8pm - Summer Community Potluck in the Park - Boulder