8/27 Weekly Call to Action
Each week, we'll gather the week's most relevant advocacy actions, legislation, and events so that we can target our actions to have the most impact. We'll bring in happenings at the local, state, and national level from several sources so you can have a one-stop shop for your information and advocacy actions. If you come across an item to include in an upcoming Call to Action post, please send us a link through the Contact form on this site. Thanks for your advocacy!!
We’re starting the final push of a long August recess, and your activism throughout the past four weeks has been nothing short of inspiring. Keep it up as we head into the final stretch so your Members of Congress return to Washington with your needs at the top of their mind.
Call to Action - Do these things!
Boulder City Council Meeting
Tuesday, Sept. 5 at 6 p.m.
- Council will consider repealing and replacing the city’s inclusionary housing ordinance. The update includes a middle-incoming housing requirement, incentives to provide affordable units on-site and a new design review process.
- Council will consider approving an Intergovernmental Agreement with Denver Water regarding Open Space and Mountain Parks’ South Boulder Creek Habitat Improvement Project.
State Actions -- Week of Sept 3 - 10, 2017
1. DEFEND DACA: Reports suggest that Trump will end DACA soon, deporting 800,000 people who were previously protected.
Do these things:
- Tuesday, Sep 5 at 11:30 AM- Attend the school/university walkout in Denver as part of a nation-wide day of action. https://www.facebook.com/events/152796765303043/
- Join the Indivisible Front Range Resistance's visit to Gardner's office at noon to read him the Act: https://www.facebook.com/events/1550917161595931/?ti=icl
2) Call Gardner DAILY and tell him to issue a statement about DACA.
If DACA is rescinded, there must be immediate legislation to protect DREAMers. The DREAM Act is in the Senate, and Representative Mike Coffman has vowed to bring the "Bridge Act" to immediate vote in the House. What is the Bridge Act? Here's info: https://www.nilc.org/issues/daca/faq-bridge-act/
IN ADDITION: Let Gardner’s staff know how disappointed you are that the Senator has yet to take a stand regarding Trump’s pardon of Joe Arpaio or his order to ban the military from recruiting transgender individuals. **If you need some inspiration on what to say, please see the joint statement we put together: https://www.facebook.com/indivisibledenver/posts/1748510145448924. **
3) Call your U.S. House Representative - Lamborn, Tipton, and Buck have made no statements on DACA.
4) Read more about DACA and even sign up for text updates here: http://defenddaca.com/
1. Make Your Voice Heard: The breathtaking actions of Donald Trump in the last week require a response. In the next two days, please call your Members of Congress to:
- Demand that they take action - not just denounce - but take action in response to the pardon of Joe Arpaio, which is not only a clear statement that this Administration supports racism but a clear statement that this Administration will do whatever it takes to shelter illegal and unconstitutional acts if they are done on behalf of the Administration. Action can be censure - or impeachment or other legislation to restrict the powers of this president
- Take action against the transgender ban for new recruits in the military
- Demand that they refuse to support Trump's holding our federal budget hostage over building an unwarranted wall along the southern border.
2. Texas Hurricane Harvey
Donations to the American Red Cross Texas Gulf Coast Region support the lifesaving work they are doing (http://www.redcross.org/local/texas/gulf-coast), and this Texas Monthly link lists many other organizations on the ground in TX that could also use your support: http://www.texasmonthly.com/the-daily-post/ways-can-help-people-hurricane-harvey. Give what you can!
3. Charlottesville to DC March
A March to Confront White Supremacy is set to start in Charlottesville this Monday and end in Washington, D.C., on Wednesday, Sept. 6. Marchers will be standing up for justice and equality and making a commitment to fighting white supremacy wherever it is found (including the White House). Some members from our group will be travelling to DC to be among those to welcome the marchers when they arrive, but even if you can’t attend the march you can make a donation to the cause: https://www.youcaring.com/thepeoplesconsortiumforhumanandcivilrights-914108
Upcoming Legislation - Watch these bills!
Civil Rights (Religious Freedom) - H.R. 3222: Do No Harm Act
Upcoming Events - Go to these places!
9pm - Boulder City Council Public Hearing on Boulder Valley Comprehensive Plan
5:30pm - Boulder Advocacy Training for Healthcare and Beyond - Boulder
6pm - Boulder City Council Public Hearing on public safety and sexually violent predators
12pm-1:45pm - Forum With Boulder City Council Candidates - Boulder
5pm-8pm - Boulder Chamber Meet the Candidates - Boulder/Online
6pm - 314 Action: Training Scientists for Policy - Boulder
6pm - Join Mike Daugherty in Boulder - Boulder
Save the Date:
Sunday 9/10 11:30am-6:30pm - Boulder Pride Fest - Boulder