9/10 Weekly Call to Action
Each week, we'll gather the week's most relevant advocacy actions, legislation, and events so that we can target our actions to have the most impact. We'll bring in happenings at the local, state, and national level from several sources so you can have a one-stop shop for your information and advocacy actions. If you come across an item to include in an upcoming Call to Action post, please send us a link through the Contact form on this site. Thanks for your advocacy!!
We need to start spreading the word that it is cities who are making 100% renewable energy goals, our cities who make development decisions that affect our marginalized communities, our cities that can make decisions about affordable housing, our cities that decide to be sanctuaries, etc.
Call to Action - Do these things!
Local Actions you Can Take This Week
We don't win if we don't win locally. Find your local candidate(s) and ask them what they need. THREE MONTHS LEFT!! Find your candidate here:
---City council (https://indivisiblefrr.org/wiki/index.php?title=City_level)
---School boards (https://indivisiblefrr.org/wiki/index.php…)
State Actions from our friends at Indivisible Front Range Resistance
1. SUPPORT THE DREAMERS This is simple. Just call ALL your members of Congress -- Dem House reps too -- and demand that they pass the DREAM Act. Right. Now.
2. The Senate will try one more push to repeal obamacare. Here's the thing: they only have until September 30 to do it. That's 22 days. WE CAN DO THIS. Nothing to do just yet, but please stay informed of what's on the table - cuts to Medicaid. Millions losing coverage. https://www.washingtonpost.com/…/…/cassidy-graham-explainer/
National Actions from our National Indivisible Team
1. Stand Up for immigrants: tell your MoC to vote no on H.R. 3697. With the whole country’s eyes on the futures of DACA recipients, Trump’s friends in Congress have been working to move along other parts of their anti-immigrant agenda. The House is expected to vote this Tuesday on H.R. 3697, the Criminal Alien Gang Member Removal Act. This bill would allow Trump’s deportation machine to label wider categories of immigrants as “gang members,” including those fleeing gang violence. It also affects vulnerable populations such as asylum seekers, TPS holders, and unaccompanied children. Tell your MoCs to vote “No.”
2. Oppose the Budget Resolution. The budget resolution is step one of two in passing the Trump Tax Scam (check out our comprehensive resource as you ramp up work on opposing Trump’s tax plan). The version moving through the House is totally appalling: it makes deep cuts to Medicaid and SNAP and voucherizes Medicare, all to give more funding to the Pentagon. It also sets up the special reconciliation process that Republicans plan to use to jam the Trump Tax Scam through the Senate, just like TrumpCare. Your House members should oppose the House budget resolution, and your Senators should oppose any resolution that cuts Medicaid, Medicare, or SNAP, or has reconciliation instructions that don’t require Congress to offset tax cuts with new revenue. And now is the time to make those calls and visits-- the resolution could be on the floor in two weeks. We’ve got an explainer to get you started.
3. Make sure TrumpCare Stays Dead. We know under Senate rules, Republicans have until September 30 to jam TrumpCare through the Senate. Zombie TrumpCare has a new name: “Graham-Cassidy.” Don’t be fooled by the change in title: this bill is just as terrible as previous versions of TrumpCare, as it would destroy Medicaid as we know it and it would give states inadequate block grants that wouldn’t nearly match the current level of support for helping people afford insurance. Read our Graham-Cassidy explainer here and ramp up efforts to make sure that we keep TrumpCare dead as a doornail-- and remind your MoC that you’re still paying attention.
4. Prevent War with North Korea. Trump is still beating the drum for war with North Korea. Instead of exploring rational and strategic diplomacy in the face of the rogue nation’s nuclear weapons tests, the administration has talked about a “massive military response” and said that North Korea is “begging for war.” The last thing we need when it comes to North Korea is an unstable Trump tweeting threats. With media reports indicating there could be another missile test this weekend, there’s no better time for your MoCs to speak out and deny Trump any authorization for war with North Korea. The stakes are too high for Congress to stay silent (because we know Trump won’t) - take a look at our updated resource, and don’t let them off the hook.
5. Join us in saying #NoMuslimBanEver. We’re proud partners of the #NoMuslimBanEver campaign, a grassroots awareness and mobilization effort happening in the weeks leading up to and on October 10, 2017, when the Supreme Court will hear legal challenges to the Muslim and refugee bans. Check out the campaign’s new website, www.nomuslimbanever.comand join us in saying #NoMuslimBanEver! Here are 5 things you can do today:
-Visit www.nomuslimbanever.com to learn more about the campaign’s principles, messages, and how you can get involved.
-Host an event in your local community to raise awareness about the Muslim and refugee bans. You can find ideas on how to organize events and key dates in our toolkit, available here. Once you have your plans in place, please register your event here to reach a wider audience.
-Sign up to join the 10/10 mobilization, led by MPower Change, in front of the Supreme Court here.
-Share downloadable graphics with your networks; put them up as profile pictures; and spread the word on social media.
-Spread the word about the #NoMuslimBanEver campaign with these click to tweet messages.
Upcoming Legislation - Watch these bills!
Immigration- H.R. 3440: Dream Act of 2017
Upcoming Events - Go to these places!
6pm - Colorado House Majority Leader KC Becker, state Rep. Edie Hooton and state Sen. Steve Fenberg have invited constituents to a “Back to School' town hall meeting at Casey Middle School auditorium, 2410 13th St., Boulder.
7pm - Superior Board of Trustees Meeting - Superior
6:30pm - Erie Board of Trustees Meeting - Erie
7pm - Longmont City Council Meeting - Longmont
6pm - DACA: Next Steps for You and Your Family - Denver
7pm-9pm - Living Beyond Hope and Fear: Warrior Principle, Climate Action 3 day symposium - Boulder
9am-8:30pm - Living Beyond Hope and Fear: Warrior Principle, Climate Action - Boulder
4pm-8pm - Flash Mob: Singing for our Lives - Denver
9am-7pm - Living Beyond HOpe and Fear: Warrior Principle, Climate Action - Boulder
Save the date:
Sunday 9/24 - Indivisible Boulder Monthly Meeting; 3:30-5:30pm Boulder Public Library