1/21/18 Weekly Call to Action
Donald Trump is racist.
And he made racism the backbone of his campaign from the moment he announced his candidacy and used his speech to attack immigrants. Now that he’s president, Trump’s racism is shaping our nation’s policies and the lives of immigrants and communities of color each and every day. The “Muslim ban”. Pardoning Joe Arpaio. Attacking Colin Kaepernick. Ending Temporary Protected Status for El Salvadoran and Haitian immigrants.
The best way to reject Trump’s racism right now is to protect the people who he wants to deport.
Call to Action - Do these things!
The Boulder City Council does not have a meeting this week.
- RESISTING IN THE COLORADO LEGISLATURE.
Sen. Zenzinger (D) and Rep. Winter (D) have introduced SB 18-006 http://leg.colorado.gov/bills/sb18-006: Recording Fee to Obtain Attainable Housing. The bill would allow counties to increase the current $1 recording fee to $5, with the remaining $4 going into an attainable housing fund. It would give local control to counties to problem solve our housing crisis, and it's been sent to the kill committee.
- Do 2 things: 1) Call on the Republicans of this committee to vote YES. 2) Plan to attend the hearing on 1/31 at 1:30pm in room SCR 357.
2. GET CONNECTED.
Join the CO Democrats Talent Bank right now (http://www.coloradodems.org/volunteersignup). Sign up for Democratic Dispatch to get the weekly update of everything going on at your Colorado Democratic Party (http://co.coloradodems.org/page/s/join-the-cdp-newsletter).
3. LOCALIZE YOUR POWER.
Contact your county democratic party. Most counties will be conducting their own caucus trainings, so getting in touch earlier will give you the best chance to attend those. Go here: https://www.coloradodems.org/get-local/. If you're 35 or under, find your county "Young Dems" chapter and get involved with them; they will help ease you into the party structure: http://www.coloradoyoungdems.com/
National Actions - from Indivisible National
This Week on Capitol Hill
- 122 DACA Immigrant Youth, the "Dreamers," lose their protection every day, and more than 16,000 have lost their DACAmented status since September. Dreamers’ lives shouldn’t be in limbo because Republicans can’t govern. Now that Republicans just shut down the government over Trump's bigoted agenda, here’s what you can do to take action:
- Visit DreamerPledge.org to read our latest analysis. Find out if your members of Congress (MoCs) were Dream Heroes or Dream Killers in December. If your Senator was a hero, thank them for their vote and demand they stay strong. If they voted to deport Dreamers, tell them you want them to re-open the government with legislation that protects Dreamers.
- Call your Senators using our toll-free line at 1-855-980-2355. Use our Dream Hero call script if your Senator voted to protect Dreamers. And use our Dream Killer call script if your Senator voted to fund the government without protecting Dreamers. You’ll be prompted for your zip code and immediately connected to one of your Senators. Call back again and you’ll be connected to your other Senator!
- Organize an action at Congressional offices. Thanks to the GOP’s recklessness, Congressional offices around the country are shut down as long as the government is closed. This is a concrete symbol of Trump’s failure. We’re calling for actions at offices around the country to call out Republicans for failing to do their jobs, and thank Democrats for keeping their promises to Dreamers. Get the kit to organize an action and register your event here
2. And Beware....On the heels of a huge giveaway to the rich and corporations with the #GOPTaxScam, the Senate is back next week with a huge giveaway to big banks. This bill, deceivingly called the "Economic Growth, Regulatory Relief, and Consumer Protection Act" would actually re-introduce the same risks to our financial system that caused the 2008 crisis and eliminate consumer protections. It could get a vote in the Senate next week.
Upcoming Legislation - Watch these bills!
Healthcare/Abortion (National) - H.R. 4712 Born-Alive Abortion Survivors Protection Act
Upcoming Events - Go to these places!
Sunday, January 28, 2018 - 1pm
Sunday, January 28, 2018 - 3pm
Meadows Branch Library 4800 Baseline.
Monday, January 29, 2018 - 1:30 pm
Saturday, January 27, 2018 - 1pm
Trump and His Regime Must Go!
Colorado State Capitol in Denver, Colorado
By The Resistance 5280
Saturday, January 27, 2018 - 2pm
Governor's Forum on Education
Sheet Metal Workers Apprenticeship School of Colorado in Denver, Colorado
By Colorado Young Democrats