1/28/18 Weekly Call to Action
Last week, Congress voted to fund the government without offering a permanent solution for immigrant youth brought here as children. Every day Republicans fail to fix this crisis, they are helping to advance Trump’s nativist, white supremacist agenda. And, Democrats can and should do more -- they must use the power of their vote to protect Dreamers.
There’s a ton going on next month -- but we’ve got you covered. You can check out Indivisible's new “What Could Happen in February” blog post for a rundown of everything that could happen this month, and how you can be ready to respond.
Call to Action - Do these things!
The Boulder City Council will hold its next meeting on February 6.
- RESISTING IN THE COLORADO LEGISLATURE.
Sen. Zenzinger (D) and Rep. Winter (D) have introduced SB 18-006 http://leg.colorado.gov/bills/sb18-006: Recording Fee to Obtain Attainable Housing. The bill would allow counties to increase the current $1 recording fee to $5, with the remaining $4 going into an attainable housing fund. It would give local control to counties to problem solve our housing crisis, and it's been sent to the kill committee.
Do 2 things: 1) Call on the Republicans of this committee to vote YES. 2) Plan to attend the hearing on 1/31 at 1:30pm in room SCR 357.
2. GET CONNECTED.
Join the CO Democrats Talent Bank right now (http://www.coloradodems.org/volunteersignup). Sign up for Democratic Dispatch to get the weekly update of everything going on at your Colorado Democratic Party (http://co.coloradodems.org/page/s/join-the-cdp-newsletter).
3. LOCALIZE YOUR POWER.
Contact your county democratic party. Most counties will be conducting their own caucus trainings, so getting in touch earlier will give you the best chance to attend those. Go here: https://www.coloradodems.org/get-local/. If you're 35 or under, find your county "Young Dems" chapter and get involved with them; they will help ease you into the party structure: http://www.coloradoyoungdems.com/
National Actions - from Indivisible National
Here’s what’s happening this week on the Hill:
- Senate Democrats caved in the vote to protect DREAMERS last week, but the House may still be in play on February 8. If your Senator is on the Dream Hero list, call 1-855-980-2355 and use this script to thank them. If your Senator was a Dream Killer, call 1-855-980-2355 and hold them accountable using this script.
- Trump will give his first State of the Union. Congress will assemble in a joint session for the State of the Union address, which is this coming Tuesday, January 30 at 9pm ET/6pm PT. He will likely highlight his infrastructure plan (catered to billionaires and corporations) and immigration framework (written by the White House’s chief nativist Stephen Miller) as major items of the speech.
- The Senate will vote on a 20-week abortion ban. The “Pain-Capable Unborn Child Protection Act” will likely be brought to the Senate floor for a vote early in the week. It is extremely unlikely to pass because it will require 60 votes in favor to overcome a filibuster. Call your Senators now and tell them to stand against this attack on women’s health.
- Trump will officially release the framework for his infrastructure plan. The framework, which leaked this past week, leans heavily on funding from private investors to finance the rebuilding of our nation’s infrastructure -- which means weakened labor and environmental standards, higher state and local taxes, and higher costs to repay via tolls and user fees.
Upcoming Legislation - Watch these bills!
- Immigration (National) - H.R. 4873 DACA Compromise Act of 2018
- Environment (National) - S. 2337 Continental Divide Recreation, Wilderness and Camp Hale Legacy Act
Upcoming Events - Go to these places!
Wednesday, February 2, 2018 - 1PM
Thursday, February 1, 2018 - 1PM
1127 Sherman St., Suite 150 Denver, CO 80203
Thursday, February 1, 2018 -4 PM
1560 N Broadway, Denver, CO
Friday, February 2, 2018 - 6:30 PM
Saturday, February 3, 2018 - 4 PM