1/7/18 Weekly Call to Action
Welcome to 2018! We took a bit of a break for the holidays, so now we are re-energized and ready to get to it. Indivisibles across the country are gearing up for the 2018 Midterm Elections. Get ready for an AWESOME ride!
Call to Action - Do these things!
The next public City Council meeting will be on January 16, from 6-11pm.
1) GRAB 2018 BY THE MIDTERMS by joining the Colorado Dems volunteer kickoff event on Jan 11: https://www.facebook.com/events/145138936264729/
2) GET CONNECTED. Join the CO Dems Talent Bank right now (http://www.coloradodems.org/volunteersignup). Sign up for Democratic Dispatch to get the weekly update of everything going on at your Colorado Democratic Party (http://co.coloradodems.org/page/s/join-the-cdp-newsletter).
3) LOCALIZE YOUR POWER. Contact your county democratic party. Most counties will be conducting their own caucus trainings, so getting in touch earlier will give you the best chance to attend those. Go here: https://www.coloradodems.org/get-local/. If you're 35 or under, find your county Young Dems chapter and get involved with them; they will help ease you into the party structure: http://www.coloradoyoungdems.com/
4) WIN BACK THE STATE. Get involved in the state assembly elections by learning your state house and senate districts and meeting your progressive candidates for 2018. Learn about AG, treasurer, and GOV candidates. Where to start? Here is the literal manual >> https://www.coloradoresistance.org
5) GET READY FOR CAUCUSES. Come to the Colorado Caucuses Summit on 1/13 to learn about the March 6 Democratic Caucuses and to participate in a “mock” caucus:https://www.facebook.com/events/1836489503319628/?ti=icl NOTE: Remember to update your party affiliation by the deadline in order to vote for your candidates: https://www.sos.state.co.us/…/p…/pub/olvr/findVoterReg.xhtml
6) SAY IT LOUD. For steps 1-5, as you undertake each action, post about it to your personal network! Post often! “Example: I just signed up at my local county democratic precinct. Excited to get to work. Join me!” Simple. Your friends and families need to see that you are EATING, SLEEPING, and DRINKING midterms in 2018. Your actions will inspire other actions. Don’t do any of this in secret.
7) LET THEM KNOW. Call Gardner, Bennet, and your rep to ring in the new year. Tell them this: “I fully expect your first actions in 2018 to be passing a clean DREAM Act, funding CHIP, and protecting earned benefits like Medicare and Social Security from spending cuts.” For the senators, include the following: “I fully expect Senator (Bennet/Gardner) to protect Net Neutrality when it comes up for a vote in the Senate.” Add in any other concerns you have, but MAKE THESE THREE CALLS this week. Let your members of congress know that in 2018 we are still watching. Contact info on our website.
National Actions - from Indivisible National
In 2017, we accomplished so much. We resisted. We organized. We made phone calls. We rallied. We held our elected officials accountable. We won elections. We built power. And we started a movement.
Thanks to the incredible work of Indivisibles across the country, in 2018, we are a force to be reckoned with. And, as the new year starts, we must use that power, that strength to push Democrats to fight for a bold, progressive future and hold Republicans accountable for the betrayal of their constituents on votes to repeal healthcare and pass tax cuts for billionaires.
In 2018, we’ll replace the elected officials who don’t represent us with diverse, progressive, local leaders. And if we put in the work (beginning right now!), our movement will be the catalyst for the big blue wave we all hope to see on election night in just over 300 days.
1) Register to vote. Every. vote. matters. We’ve partnered with TurboVoteto help Indivisibles everywhere get registered to vote. You can also use our online system to help friends, family members, and your fellow Indivisibles get registered to vote (we even have a Guide to get you started on your first voter registration event in your community). The first primaries start in February and run through August, so make sure you and everyone you know has an updated voter registration!
2) Replace the MoCs who voted for the #TrumpTaxScam and plan/attend a retirement party event for the week of January 8. It’s been just two weeks since Republicans voted against their constituents and with their donors. No GOP Senator should be able to appear in public in 2018 without answering questions about this betrayal. We won’t forget. We will replace them in 2018 and then repeal the GOP tax scam in 2019. This week, the week of January 8, kick off this year right by planning a retirement party event at your MoC’s district or state office. Don’t forget to register your event (or search for one near you now).
Upcoming Events - Go to these places!
Wednesday, January 10th
12pm-3pm -- Phone-bank: Colorado Demands a Clean #DREAMActNow - Denver
Thursday, January 11th
6:30pm-8:30pm -- Colorado Democrats 2018 Volunteer Kickoff! - Denver
Saturday, January 13th
9am-7pm -- ALL ABOUT the Caucuses: the DemEnterCo Caucus Summit - Wheat Ridge
3pm-5pm -- Women's March Sign Making Party! - Boulder (email email@example.com to rsvp if you are not in our closed Facebook group)
Sunday, January 14th
3:30-5:30pm -- Indivisible Boulder Monthly Meeting - Boulder
Saturday, January 20th
9:30am-4pm -- Official Women's March On Colorado: One Year Anniversary - Denver
Indivisible Boulder will be marching with other Colorado Indivisible groups. We will have a 6ft sign to march behind. Please send us an email, and we can let you know where to meet us: firstname.lastname@example.org
Save The Date: January 21st - post march meet up - place and time coming soon - Boulder