02/05/18 Weekly Call to Action
Have you found the race(s) that you’ll be supporting for the midterms? We will need people canvassing, texting, calling, and knocking on doors in order to win BIG in 9 months. Indivisible will be focusing on 3 particular races as far as regular calls to action: US Congressional District 6 (Mike Coffman’s seat), State Senate District 16 (Tim Neville’s seat - Golden-area), and State Senate District 24 (Beth Humenik’s seat - Thornton-area)
For us in the Boulder area, Tim Neville's SD 16 sits next to us, in Golden and nearby. We have the chance to help get a progressive leader in that seat, instead of a man who wants to make abortion a class 1 felony. Join both Colorado Votes and Indivisible Colorado SD-16 to stay plugged in.
Call to Action - Do these things!
Boulder City Council Meeting
Tuesday, Feb. 6 at 6 p.m.
Consideration of a motion to amend annexation agreements for two Violet Avenue properties and two Upland Avenue properties to allow the affordable housing requirements of all the properties to be met at 2180 Violet Ave., and allow an increase in density at that property. Second reading of a motion to authorize development at 2180 Violet Ave. for 19 dwelling units. Public hearing of site review to develop three of the four properties.
Second reading of a motion to adopt updates to Boulder Revised Code related to standard definitions for sales and use tax, and conforming amendments and related details.
Second reading of a motion to adopt updates to Boulder Revised Code related to revenue and taxation.
- RESISTING IN THE COLORADO LEGISLATURE. --- New Hearing Date!
Sen. Zenzinger (D) and Rep. Winter (D) have introduced SB 18-006 http://leg.colorado.gov/bills/sb18-006: Recording Fee to Obtain Attainable Housing. The bill would allow counties to increase the current $1 recording fee to $5, with the remaining $4 going into an attainable housing fund. It would give local control to counties to problem solve our housing crisis, and it's been sent to the kill committee.
Do 2 things: 1) Call on the Republicans of this committee to vote YES. 2) Plan to attend the hearing on 2/05 at 1:30pm in room SCR 357.
2. GET CONNECTED.
Join the CO Democrats Talent Bank right now (http://www.coloradodems.org/volunteersignup). Sign up for Democratic Dispatch to get the weekly update of everything going on at your Colorado Democratic Party (http://co.coloradodems.org/page/s/join-the-cdp-newsletter).
3. CO FAMLI ACT RALLY AND COMMITTEE HEARING.
Twenty five years after passing milestone legislation of FMLA - we are still fighting for guaranteed PAID FAMILY & MEDICAL LEAVE for ALL WORKERS. HB18-1001 (the FAMLI Act) would create a statewide paid family and medical leave insurance program! It would allow workers to receive 67%-95% of their pay for up to 12 weeks when they need time away from their jobs to care for loved ones. On Tuesday, we will RALLY at 12:30 and stay for the hearing at 1:30.
National Actions - from Indivisible National
Here’s what’s happening this week on the Hill:
- Senate Democrats caved in the vote to protect DREAMERS last week, but the House may still be in play on February 8. If your Senator is on the, call 1-855-980-2355 and use this script to thank them. If your Senator was a Dream Killer, call 1-855-980-2355 and hold them accountable using this script.
- Thank Senator Bennett for helping defeat the 20-week abortion ban. Senator Bennett deserves a thank you for continuing to support a woman's right to choose what happens to her own body. You can find his name on this Dream Hero list.: Call your Senators now and tell them to stand against this attack on women’s health.
Upcoming Legislation - Watch these bills!
- (Federal) Immigration - H.R. 4796 USA Act of 2018
- (State) Paid Family Leave - HB18-1001 (the FAMLI Act) would create a statewide paid family and medical leave insurance program! It would allow workers to receive 67%-95% of their pay for up to 12 weeks when they need time away from their jobs to care for loved ones.
Upcoming Events - Go to these places!
Monday, February 5, 2018
Love Knows No Borders, No Walls Vigil 2018
GEO Aurora Ice Processing Center in Aurora, Colorado
By AFSC & Coloradans For Immigrant Rights
Tuesday, February 6, 2018
Unity Spiritual Center Denver: 3021 S University Blvd Denver CO 80210
Wednesday, February 7, 2018
Tell Sen. Bennet #NoDreamNoDeal
Denver's Civic Center Park in Denver, Colorado
By Colorado People's Alliance
Beyond the Boom: Telling the Story of Economic Mobility
The Colorado Health Foundation in Denver, Colorado
By The Bell Policy Center
Thursday, February 8, 2018
Community Social: Boulder
Full Cycle Bikes in Boulder, Colorado
By Trish Zornio
Saturday, February 10, 2018