3/19 Weekly Call to Action
Coming off of a key special election win in Pennsylvania’s 18th District, we’re feeling more energized than ever. These moments will just keep coming our way in 2018, so soak in that BLUEWAVE energy now!
Spring recess begins March 24 (the March for Our Lives!) and ends on April 8. This recess, we’re ready to face our elected officials and remind them that they work for us. Recess is just one way you can get face time with your MoCs and hold them accountable for:
Their inaction to reduce gun violence
Their votes to unravel Wall Street reform
Their votes for the GOP tax scam (yes, stay mad about it)
...and so much more.
* And every week... Be sure to check out our Events Calendar often, as we add events daily to it.*
Call to Action - Do these things!
Tuesday, March 20th, 6pm - Boulder City Council Meeting
- Consideration of a motion to adopt two ordinances related to recommendations made by the Marijuana Advisory Committee and marijuana business fees.
- Consideration of a motion to approve a private waterline easement over a portion of the Swartz Open Space Property.
- Consideration of a motion to enter into a joint development agreement with Zocalo Community Development as the Master Developer of the city-owned property located on the northeast corner of 30th and Pearl Street.
Chats with City Council
City Council is piloting a new engagement opportunity, called Chats with Council, in 2018.
Saturday, April 7, 2018 @ 10 a.m. to noon (50 people max)
Elks' Lodge, 3975 28th St.
Council Members Sam Weaver and Jill Grano
State of the City video
Watch the State of the City video to see what Boulder did in 2017 and what is planned for 2018.
Saturday, 3/24 - MARCH FOR OUR LIVES RALLY If you aren’t a delegate or PCP, make plans to be at Civic Center Park to march with students *across the nation* who are calling for immediate action to curb gun violence. It’ll be historic! https://www.facebook.com/events/1586606621427065/
BONUS: Bring signs that *specifically* reference Senator Cory Gardner and Representative Mike Coffman - let’s be sure that students who march know *exactly* where to direct their anger.
DOUBLE BONUS: You want to register voters at the march? We have opportunities for that. See the comments below for details
Saturday, 3/24 - DEMOCRATIC ASSEMBLIES are taking place across the state on 3/24. High Fives for representing your precincts as a delegate or precinct chair!
Sunday, 3/25 - WE ARE ORGANIZING IN COFFMAN’S DISTRICT every weekend, and we’re starting *now* because we are up against piles of dark money flowing in to help Coffman succeed. We can BEAT that. We won’t canvass this Saturday (March 24) due to the above events, but Sunday is open:
- Every Saturday: https://www.facebook.com/events/1937350306279752/
- Every Sunday: https://www.facebook.com/events/2084734478209853/
To Join the Colorado Blue Wave...
- CANVASS IN YOUR OWN NEIGHBORHOOD! Julia Bristor manages the People 2 People campaign for the Colorado Dems and can get you plugged in to all you need for local canvassing. Contact her at email@example.com.
- HELP TAMMY STORY DEFEAT TIM NEVILLE in CO Senate district 16. He posts on his Facebook page things like: the "immigrant crime waves," shooting at a gun range with an AR-16, abortion doctors are commiting a felony, etc. Can you help flip this seat and with it, the control of the senate?? Yeah, that’s how big a deal this is. Colorado Votes is working hard to do just that. Contact Susanna Todaro to get plugged in, and join both Colorado Votes and Indivisible Colorado SD-16 to stay plugged in. FYI, Tammy Story is running for this seat: http://story4co.com/. Also FYI, for the armchair resistors, mosey over to his FB page and help counter the hate that lives there.
- HELP FAITH WINTER DEFEAT BETH HUMENIK in CO Senate district 24. Join Faith’s newsletter list to get updates on her campaign and how to help her win http://www.faithwinter.com
* FIND THE PHONE #s FOR YOUR U.S. REPRESENTATIVES AND SENATORS HERE - https://docs.google.com/document/d/1BL1dJ2vENTGCo0NbOLxy7rxhk3AY95dgvv6F84S13PQ/edit#bookmark=id.wavu32e4rd74
- It’s almost time for spring recess! While you were out calling for action on gun violence, your senators were busy deregulating Wall Street. Now it’s time to plan for recess and hold them accountable -- check out our spring recess resource now!
- End the US’s unauthorized involvement in Yemen. We’re still calling on our senators to support #SandersLeeYemen, a resolution that would declare our participation in Yemen’s civil war illegal and end our participation. Your MoCs will vote next week, so use our resource to call them before they vote!
- Republicans want to increase funding for Trump’s deportation machine. Even though Congress still hasn't passed relief for Dreamers, they will soon vote to deport them. Republicans plan to pass an omnibus spending bill by March 23 and they hope to increase funding for Trump’s deportation machine. Use our resource to tell your MoC to oppose increased funding for agents, detention center beds, and Trump's wall.
Upcoming Legislation - Watch these bills!
State of Colorado Legislation
- Calculates a school district's (district's) total program funding by starting with statewide base per pupil funding and adding additional funding for student and district characteristics in the form of district factor funding as follows:
- Size factor funding;
- Poverty factor funding for students eligible for free or reduced-price meals;
- English language learner factor funding, adjusted for district size;
- Gifted child factor funding, adjusted for district size;
- Special education factor funding, adjusted for disability and district size; and
- Cost of living factor funding, limited to a percentage of statewide cost of living factor funding.
Please call members of the House Education Committee and plan to attend the first hearing on April 2 at 1:30 pm. Let them know you support this more equitable way of distributing school monies- and remind them that 171 of 178 School District Superintendents in Colorado are behind it!
Brittany Pettersen D 303-866-2939
Janet P. Buckner D 303-866-2944
Jeff Bridges R 303-866-2921
Justin Everett R 303-866-2927
Tony Exum, Sr. D 303-866-3069
Pete Lee D 303-866-2932
Timothy Leonard R 303-866-2932
Paul Lundeen R 303-866-2924
Barbara McLachlan D 303-866-2914
Judy K. Reyher R 303-866-2905
Lang Sias R 303-866-2962
James D. Wilson R 303-866-2747
- (Immigration) H.R. Immigrant Witness and Victim Protection Act of 2018
To increase border security and to provide conditional provision residence to certain long-term residents who entered the United States as children.
To establish a grant program to assist States to establish or expand universal prekindergarten in public schools and public charter schools.
- (Environment) - H.R. 3387- Drinking Water System Improvement Act of 2017
To amend the Safe Drinking Water Act to improve public water systems and enhance compliance with such Act, and for other purposes.
Upcoming Events - Go to these places!
Visit our Events Calendar to see upcoming events.