3/26 Weekly Call to Action
Your presence in Denver and around the country yesterday at the March for Our Lives was phenomenal! Thousands showed up to demand a change to the lax gun policies that have contributed to the mounting loss of innocent lives. For weeks, you’ve kept the conversation around gun violence prevention steady. And now, from March 24 to April 9, your members of Congress (MoCs) will be home for spring recess. This is your opportunity to hold them accountable and build momentum going into election season. You can find everything you’ll need, including resources and town hall questions, at recess.indivisible.org.
* And every week... Be sure to check out our Events Calendar often, as we add events daily to it.*
Call to Action - Do these things!
- Canvass in Your Own Neighborhood - Julia Bristor manages the People 2 People campaign for the Colorado Dems and can get you plugged in to all you need for local canvassing. Contact her at email@example.com.
- Attend a "Chats With Council" Event in Boulder- City Council is piloting a new engagement opportunity, called Chats with Council, in 2018. The next one is Saturday, April 7, 2018 @ 10 a.m. to noon (50 people max):
Elks' Lodge, 3975 28th St.
Council Members Sam Weaver and Jill Grano
- State of the City video - Watch the State of the City video to see what Boulder did in 2017 and what is planned for 2018.
This is How You join the Colorado Blue Wave to Keep the House Blue and Take Back the Colorado Senate:
- HELP TAMMY STORY DEFEAT TIM NEVILLE in CO Senate district 16. He posts on his Facebook page things like: the "immigrant crime waves," shooting at a gun range with an AR-16, abortion doctors are commiting a felony, etc. Can you help flip this seat and with it, the control of the senate?? Yeah, that’s how big a deal this is. Colorado Votes is working hard to do just that. Contact Susanna Todaro to get plugged in, and join both Colorado Votes and Indivisible Colorado SD-16 to stay plugged in. FYI, Tammy Story is running for this seat: http://story4co.com/. Also FYI, for the armchair resistors, mosey over to his FB page and help counter the hate that lives there.
- HELP FAITH WINTER DEFEAT BETH HUMENIK in CO Senate district 24. Join Faith’s newsletter list to get updates on her campaign and how to help her win http://www.faithwinter.com
Or Join Us in Removing Mike Coffman from his U.S. House seat this November:
- WE ARE ORGANIZING IN COFFMAN’S DISTRICT -every weekend, and we’re starting *now* because we are up against piles of dark money flowing in to help Coffman succeed. We can BEAT that.
Or Help Raise Funds for Colorado's Public Schools by getting Initiative 93 on the Ballot in November:
INITIATIVE 93 is a statewide measure that would raise 1.8 billion to be distributed to ALL COLORADO SCHOOL DISTRICTS and only the top 8% of Coloradans would see an increase in their income taxes, along with S Corporations. Residential and Non Residential property taxes would actually decrease with the measure. If anyone is willing to get signatures on a petition anywhere in Colorado, please follow this link and someone will contact you--http://www.greatschoolsthrivingcommunities.org/volunteer.
- Spring recess is here! Here’s how we hold our Members of Congress accountable:
- Before you fight back, you need an event to attend. Find an event near you here or organize your own district office visit with your Indivisible group! See if your member of Congress has the guts to face their constituents and show up with your questions ready.
- Stay ready. We have the ultimate resource for all the questions you could possibly have for your MoCs. Given recent bad votes (and what’s ahead on the Congressional agenda) they need to hear from you when they’re home during recess. Make sure to discuss with your MoCs the things that matter most to you. Whether it’s the banking bill, the tax scam or net neutrality -- we’ve got you covered.
- #NeverAgain. Hold them accountable to their inaction around gun violence. You showed up to support students during walkouts. You’re showing up today for the #MarchForOurLives. But where are our MoCs? Like so many other issues, our MoCs need to feel pressure in order to act. At the federal, state, and local level, you can have an impact to prevent gun violence. Check out our guide and tell your MoCs enough is enough.
- Tax Day is coming. We will not forget how our MoCs voted on the tax scam, and Tax Day is the perfect opportunity to remind them that we remember their votes to give huge tax cuts to the rich and corporations at our expense. Find a Tax March event in your area before Tax Day!
- Republican senators are working to confirm the NRA’s favorite lawyer, Howard C. Nielson, to a lifetime district court judgeship. He only needs a simple majority of votes, so we need to chip away at least 1 or 2 Republicans and ask Democrats to hold strong. Review our resource for more information about Howard Neilson and then let your senators hear from you. This is a major opportunity for your senators to fight back against the gun lobby’s influence, at a crucial time in history.
- Trump’s cabinet nominees Gina Haspel (CIA Director) and Mike Pompeo (Secretary of State) will come up for confirmation votes in the Senate. Haspel is a war criminal who personally helped torture detainees in a secret CIA-run prison in Thailand during the Bush administration. Pompeo is a Trump clone who’s displayed anti-Muslim bigotry, spouted dangerous warmongering, opposed diplomacy with Iran, and denied climate change. We are all less safe if Pompeo and Haspel are confirmed. Tell Senators Gardner and Bennet to reject them.
* FIND THE PHONE #s FOR YOUR U.S. REPRESENTATIVES AND SENATORS HERE.
Upcoming Legislation - Watch these bills!
State of Colorado Legislation
- Calculates a school district's (district's) total program funding by starting with statewide base per pupil funding and adding additional funding for student and district characteristics in the form of district factor funding as follows:
- Size factor funding;
- Poverty factor funding for students eligible for free or reduced-price meals;
- English language learner factor funding, adjusted for district size;
- Gifted child factor funding, adjusted for district size;
- Special education factor funding, adjusted for disability and district size; and
- Cost of living factor funding, limited to a percentage of statewide cost of living factor funding.
Please call members of the House Education Committee and plan to attend the first hearing on April 2 at 1:30 pm. Let them know you support this more equitable way of distributing school monies- and remind them that 171 of 178 School District Superintendents in Colorado are behind it!
Brittany Pettersen D 303-866-2939
Janet P. Buckner D 303-866-2944
Jeff Bridges R 303-866-2921
Justin Everett R 303-866-2927
Tony Exum, Sr. D 303-866-3069
Pete Lee D 303-866-2932
Timothy Leonard R 303-866-2932
Paul Lundeen R 303-866-2924
Barbara McLachlan D 303-866-2914
Judy K. Reyher R 303-866-2905
Lang Sias R 303-866-2962
James D. Wilson R 303-866-2747
- (Immigration) H.R. Immigrant Witness and Victim Protection Act of 2018
To increase border security and to provide conditional provision residence to certain long-term residents who entered the United States as children.
To establish a grant program to assist States to establish or expand universal prekindergarten in public schools and public charter schools.
- (Environment) - H.R. 3387- Drinking Water System Improvement Act of 2017
To amend the Safe Drinking Water Act to improve public water systems and enhance compliance with such Act, and for other purposes.
Upcoming Events - Go to these places!
Visit our Events Calendar to see upcoming events.