4/16 Weekly Call to Action
With his sudden strike on Syria, Trump is transparently gambling with the safety of the Syrian people, and pulling us closer to war with Russia and Iran, to distract from his own legal troubles.
And it’s made one thing clear: we must remain vigilant at all times. The United States is escalating the conflict in Syria. Trump could still fire Rosenstein at any moment. And all the while, he’s trying to pull together a war Cabinet so that he can drag us into yet another endless war.
We need to get busy this week. Take actions below and then kick off Earth Day 2018 at a celebration in Denver on Saturday!
* And every week... Be sure to check out our Events Calendar often, as we add events daily to it.*
Call to Action - Do these things!
1. Boulder City Council Meeting- Tuesday, April 17 at 6 p.m.
Motion to approve the purchase of 110 acres at 3902 N. 63rd Street and 340 shares of North Boulder Farmer's Ditch as city open space.
Second reading of a motion to adopt an ordinance related to the annexation of 832 Gapter Road with an initial zoning designation of Residential - Rural 2 (RR-2).
First reading of a motion to amend city codes related to the Commercial Linkage Fee.
2. Attend a "Chats With Council" Event in Boulder- City Council is piloting a new engagement opportunity, called Chats with Council, in 2018.
Monday, April 30, 2018 @ 4 to 6 p.m. (40 people max)
East Boulder Community Center (just before and a little into the start of the What’s Up Boulder event), 5660 Sioux Drive
Mayor Suzanne Jones and Council Member Mary Young
Council Members Sam Weaver and Jill Grano
3. State of the City video - Watch the State of the City video to see what Boulder did in 2017 and what is planned for 2018.
State Actions - there is something for everyone!
- Monday, April 16th at 4:30 pm- Join forces with the Colorado Educators Association and other Colorado educators at the Schools our Students Deserve rally on the steps of the Capitol Building in Denver---https://www.facebook.com/events/173330746654228/
Here is Your Chance to join the "Colorado Blue Wave" to Keep our House Blue and Take Back the Colorado Senate:
- HELP TAMMY STORY DEFEAT TIM NEVILLE in CO Senate district 16. He posts on his Facebook page things like: the "immigrant crime waves," shooting at a gun range with an AR-16, abortion doctors are commiting a felony, etc. Can you help flip this seat and with it, the control of the senate?? Yeah, that’s how big a deal this is. Colorado Votes is working hard to do just that. Contact Susanna Todaro to get plugged in, and join both Colorado Votes and Indivisible Colorado SD-16 to stay plugged in. FYI, Tammy Story is running for this seat: http://story4co.com/. Also FYI, for the armchair resistors, mosey over to his FB page and help counter the hate that lives there.
- HELP FAITH WINTER DEFEAT BETH HUMENIK in CO Senate district 24. Join Faith’s newsletter list to get updates on her campaign and how to help her win http://www.faithwinter.com
Or Join Us in Removing Mike Coffman from his U.S. House seat this November:
- WE ARE ORGANIZING IN COFFMAN’S DISTRICT -every weekend, and we’re starting *now* because we are up against piles of dark money flowing in to help Coffman succeed. We can BEAT that.
Or Help Raise Funds for Colorado's Public Schools by getting Initiative 93 on the Ballot in November:
- INITIATIVE 93 is a statewide measure that would raise 1.6 billion to be distributed to ALL COLORADO SCHOOL DISTRICTS and 92% of Coloradans would see NO INCREASE in their income taxes. The top 8% of earners and C-Corps would see a graduated increase in their income taxes. Non-Residential property taxes would actually decrease with the measure. If anyone is willing to get signatures on a petition anywhere in Colorado, please follow this link and someone will contact you--http://www.greatschoolsthrivingcommunities.org/volunteer.
- Tell your MOC that you oppose Trump's attacks in Syria and ask them to let him know. Any one of these actions is better than allowing Trump’s one-off missile strikes to continue:
- Publicly voice support for the ongoing investigation by the Organization for the Prohibition of Chemical Weapons into the chemical weapons attack
- Forcefully insist on its sole authority to authorize military force by demanding that Trump come to Congress before any further strikes in Syria
- Vote NO on any authorization for further force in Syria, based on Trump’s demonstrated recklessness and lack of a full strategy
- Publicly denounce Trump’s bigoted Muslim and refugee bans that are harming victims of violence in Syria and elsewhere, and call on the Administration to immediately resettle more Syrian refugees
- Call on the Administration to lead not by military force, but by engaging international partners to seek a diplomatic and political solution to end Syria’s suffering
- Hold hearings to assess the US government’s own global war operations and the resulting ramped-up civilian body count across the world
2. Next, take action to stop Trump’s War Cabinet:
- While Trump surrounds himself with “his generals” and warmongers like John Bolton, he has two more highly questionable Cabinet nominations coming up for a vote soon in the Senate:
- Trump has nominated Mike Pompeo (former MoC and current CIA Director) to replace Rex Tillerson as Secretary of State. In his hearing with the Senate Foreign Relations Committee on Thursday, he didn’t rule out a ground war in North Korea, and said that Trump has the authority to attack Syria without Congressional approval (he doesn’t). If he’s confirmed as Secretary of State, Pompeo will export Trumpism across the globe. Use our resource and call script to take action now -- the Senate could vote on Pompeo as early as this week.
- To replace Pompeo at the CIA, Trump has nominated Gina Haspel, a war criminal who personally helped torture detainees in a secret CIA-run prison in Thailand during the Bush Administration. Alberto Mora, former chief counsel of the Navy in the Bush administration, argues that there’s nothing else senators need to know to make their decision. Haspel is a torturer and is therefore unfit to lead the CIA. Her committee hearings, and a Senate vote, will likely come after Pompeo’s. But it’s never too early to read our resource and use our call script to let your MoCs know you don’t want a torturer to run the CIA.
* FIND THE PHONE #s FOR YOUR U.S. REPRESENTATIVES AND SENATORS HERE.
Upcoming Legislation - Watch these bills!
State of Colorado Legislation
(Civil Rights) Delayed from last week... HB18-1256- Sunset Review of the Colorado Civil Rights Division- This bill has passed through the House and is going to the Senate Judiciary Committee. There have been some suggested amendments, but our coalition feels that "if it ain't broke, don't fix it"! Out of the cases heard before the commission, only 2% have gone on to the next step.
The bill is to be heard in the Senate Judiciary Committee on Wednesday, April 18th at 1:30. Senate Conference Room 352.
Please also contact the members of the Senate Judiciary Committee to voice your support:
Bob Gardner firstname.lastname@example.org
Rhonda Fields email@example.com
John Cooke firstname.lastname@example.org
Daniel Kagan email@example.com
Don Coram firstname.lastname@example.org
(Education) Delayed from April 11...HB18-1232- New School Funding Distribution Formula -developed by school district superintendents-
Calculates a school district's (district's) total program funding by starting with statewide base per pupil funding and adding additional funding for student and district characteristics in the form of district factor funding as follows:
Size factor funding;
Poverty factor funding for students eligible for free or reduced-price meals;
English language learner factor funding, adjusted for district size;
Gifted child factor funding, adjusted for district size;
Special education factor funding, adjusted for disability and district size; and
Cost of living factor funding, limited to a percentage of statewide cost of living factor funding.
Please call members of the Colorado House Education Committee before their meeting this Wednesday, April 18th. Let them know you support this more equitable way of distributing school monies- and remind them that 171 of 178 School District Superintendents in Colorado are behind it!
Brittany Pettersen D 303-866-2939
Janet P. Buckner D 303-866-2944
Jeff Bridges R 303-866-2921
Justin Everett R 303-866-2927
Tony Exum, Sr. D 303-866-3069
Pete Lee D 303-866-2932
Timothy Leonard R 303-866-2582
Paul Lundeen R 303-866-2924
Barbara McLachlan D 303-866-2914
Judy K. Reyher R 303-866-2905
Lang Sias R 303-866-2962
James D. Wilson R 303-866-2747
- (Immigration) H.R. Immigrant Witness and Victim Protection Act of 2018
To increase border security and to provide conditional provision residence to certain long-term residents who entered the United States as children.
To establish a grant program to assist States to establish or expand universal prekindergarten in public schools and public charter schools.
Upcoming Events - Go to these places!
Visit our Events Calendar to see upcoming events.