4/2 Weekly Call to Action
Welcome to week 2 of recess. Your MoCs have been in-district for the past week, and yet an alarming number of elected officials have been dodging your calls for open and accessible town halls. So what’s going on?
We show up to their events, with the tough questions ready, and we face them head on. Retiring representative Ryan Costello (R, PA-06), went so far this week as to blame a local Indivisible group as a reason for his retirement! Keep it up!
If our elected officials don’t have the guts to face us, then we’ll VOTE. THEM. OUT. in November. Find all the resources you need this recess at recess.indivisible.org and show up to ask those difficult questions of the MoCs who will face their constituents.
* And every week... Be sure to check out our Events Calendar often, as we add events daily to it.*
Call to Action - Do these things!
1. Boulder City Council Meeting, Tuesday, April 3 at 6 p.m.
Public hearing on a Motion to correct a Boulder Valley Comprehensive Plan land use designation at 311 Mapleton Ave.
2. Special City Council Meeting, Thursday, April 5 at 6 p.m.
Public hearing on a motion regarding additional firearm regulations in Boulder.
3. Canvass in Your Own Neighborhood - Julia Bristor manages the People 2 People campaign for the Colorado Dems and can get you plugged in to all you need for local canvassing. Contact her at firstname.lastname@example.org.
4. Attend a "Chats With Council" Event in Boulder- City Council is piloting a new engagement opportunity, called Chats with Council, in 2018. The next one is Saturday, April 7, 2018 @ 10 a.m. to noon (50 people max):
Elks' Lodge, 3975 28th St.
Council Members Sam Weaver and Jill Grano
5. State of the City video - Watch the State of the City video to see what Boulder did in 2017 and what is planned for 2018.
State Actions - there is something for everyone!
- GUN REFORM - Remember last year’s town hall with/without Senator Gardner? This year’s with or without you town hall is for Mike Coffman, and the students of @neveragain5280 are leading it. Mike Coffman’s opponents Jason Crow and Levi Tilleman will be there to discuss their own policy platforms on guns.
JOIN, AND RSVP TO ATTEND >>> https://www.facebook.com/events/515395458855621/
Here is Your Chance to join the "Colorado Blue Wave" to Keep our House Blue and Take Back the Colorado Senate:
- HELP TAMMY STORY DEFEAT TIM NEVILLE in CO Senate district 16. He posts on his Facebook page things like: the "immigrant crime waves," shooting at a gun range with an AR-16, abortion doctors are commiting a felony, etc. Can you help flip this seat and with it, the control of the senate?? Yeah, that’s how big a deal this is. Colorado Votes is working hard to do just that. Contact Susanna Todaro to get plugged in, and join both Colorado Votes and Indivisible Colorado SD-16 to stay plugged in. FYI, Tammy Story is running for this seat: http://story4co.com/. Also FYI, for the armchair resistors, mosey over to his FB page and help counter the hate that lives there.
- HELP FAITH WINTER DEFEAT BETH HUMENIK in CO Senate district 24. Join Faith’s newsletter list to get updates on her campaign and how to help her win http://www.faithwinter.com
Or Join Us in Removing Mike Coffman from his U.S. House seat this November:
- WE ARE ORGANIZING IN COFFMAN’S DISTRICT -every weekend, and we’re starting *now* because we are up against piles of dark money flowing in to help Coffman succeed. We can BEAT that.
Or Help Raise Funds for Colorado's Public Schools by getting Initiative 93 on the Ballot in November:
INITIATIVE 93 is a statewide measure that would raise 1.6 billion to be distributed to ALL COLORADO SCHOOL DISTRICTS and 92% of Coloradans would see NO INCREASE in their income taxes. The top 8% of earners and C-Corps would see a graduated increase in their income taxes. Non-Residential property taxes would actually decrease with the measure. If anyone is willing to get signatures on a petition anywhere in Colorado, please follow this link and someone will contact you--http://www.greatschoolsthrivingcommunities.org/volunteer.
- Welcome to week 2 of recess! Your members of Congress (MoCs) are still on recess until April 9 so make a plan to show up this week and ask the difficult questions they’ve been avoiding! Check out recess.indivisible.org for sample questions and resources.
- The return of tax accountability. With Tax Day approaching on April 17, we’re letting our MoCs know that we will not forget how they voted on the tax scam. Check out Tax March events in your area leading up to Tax Day and keep holding them accountable all the way up to election day.
- Say no to Trump’s war cabinet. Gina Haspel (resource here) and Mike Pompeo (resource here) have been nominated for cabinet positions and their votes are coming up in the Senate. We are all less safe if Pompeo and Haspel are confirmed. Tell your Senators to stop these nominations in their tracks.
* FIND THE PHONE #s FOR YOUR U.S. REPRESENTATIVES AND SENATORS HERE.
Upcoming Legislation - Watch these bills!
State of Colorado Legislation
- (Education- First Hearing is TODAY!) New School Funding Distribution Formula -developed by school district superintendents-
- Calculates a school district's (district's) total program funding by starting with statewide base per pupil funding and adding additional funding for student and district characteristics in the form of district factor funding as follows:
- Size factor funding;
- Poverty factor funding for students eligible for free or reduced-price meals;
- English language learner factor funding, adjusted for district size;
- Gifted child factor funding, adjusted for district size;
- Special education factor funding, adjusted for disability and district size; and
- Cost of living factor funding, limited to a percentage of statewide cost of living factor funding.
Please call members of the Colorado House Education Committee and plan to attend the first hearing TODAY- April 2 at 1:30 pm. Let them know you support this more equitable way of distributing school monies- and remind them that 171 of 178 School District Superintendents in Colorado are behind it!
Brittany Pettersen D 303-866-2939
Janet P. Buckner D 303-866-2944
Jeff Bridges R 303-866-2921
Justin Everett R 303-866-2927
Tony Exum, Sr. D 303-866-3069
Pete Lee D 303-866-2932
Timothy Leonard R 303-866-2582
Paul Lundeen R 303-866-2924
Barbara McLachlan D 303-866-2914
Judy K. Reyher R 303-866-2905
Lang Sias R 303-866-2962
James D. Wilson R 303-866-2747
- (Immigration) H.R. Immigrant Witness and Victim Protection Act of 2018
To increase border security and to provide conditional provision residence to certain long-term residents who entered the United States as children.
To establish a grant program to assist States to establish or expand universal prekindergarten in public schools and public charter schools.
Upcoming Events - Go to these places!
Visit our Events Calendar to see upcoming events.