4/23 Weekly Call to Action
If Mike Pompeo is confirmed as Secretary of State, the #TrumpThreatLevel will go through the roof. In this crucial role, Mike Pompeo would endanger our place in the world by:
Helping Trump take us closer to war with Iran and possibly North Korea, too.
Taking no action to combat climate change, one of the greatest national security threats that we face.
Further damaging international agreements and institutions.
Exporting Trumpism all over the globe, threatening our relationships with allies and putting more vulnerable people at risk.
Your calls, actions, and letters have made all the difference in Mike Pompeo’s nomination likely going down in committee this Monday. Keep up the pressure!
* And every week... Be sure to check out our Events Calendar often, as we add events daily to it.*
Call to Action - Do these things!
1. Boulder City Council Meeting- Next Tuesday, May 1st at 6 p.m.
2. Attend a "Chats With Council" Event in Boulder- City Council is piloting a new engagement opportunity, called Chats with Council, in 2018.
Monday, April 30, 2018 @ 4 to 6 p.m. (40 people max)
East Boulder Community Center (just before and a little into the start of the What’s Up Boulder event), 5660 Sioux Drive
Mayor Suzanne Jones and Council Member Mary Young
Council Members Sam Weaver and Jill Grano
3. State of the City video - Watch the State of the City video to see what Boulder did in 2017 and what is planned for 2018.
State Actions - there is something for everyone!
1. Walkout and Rally for Public Education
On Friday, April 27, teachers, parents, and community members across the state will be rallying to increase public education funding! Despite being one of the richest states in the country, Colorado is one of the lowest states when it comes to public education funding. Each year, our students are denied by the legislator the resources they desperately need.
Let's tell our state legislators enough is enough. Join the event at the State Capitol on Friday! https://www.facebook.com/events/1537720923021010/
2. Join the Fight Against Secretary of the Interior Zinke's plan to auction off land for oil drilling at the eastern edge of Sand Dunes National Park
Here is Your Chance to join the "Colorado Blue Wave" to Keep our House Blue and Take Back the Colorado Senate:
- HELP TAMMY STORY DEFEAT TIM NEVILLE in CO Senate district 16. He posts on his Facebook page things like: the "immigrant crime waves," shooting at a gun range with an AR-16, abortion doctors are commiting a felony, etc. Can you help flip this seat and with it, the control of the senate?? Yeah, that’s how big a deal this is. Colorado Votes is working hard to do just that. Contact Susanna Todaro to get plugged in, and join both Colorado Votes and Indivisible Colorado SD-16 to stay plugged in. FYI, Tammy Story is running for this seat: http://story4co.com/. Also FYI, for the armchair resistors, mosey over to his FB page and help counter the hate that lives there.
- HELP FAITH WINTER DEFEAT BETH HUMENIK in CO Senate district 24. Join Faith’s newsletter list to get updates on her campaign and how to help her win http://www.faithwinter.com
Or Join Us in Removing Mike Coffman from his U.S. House seat this November:
- WE ARE ORGANIZING IN COFFMAN’S DISTRICT -every weekend, and we’re starting *now* because we are up against piles of dark money flowing in to help Coffman succeed. We can BEAT that.
Or Help Raise Funds for Colorado's Public Schools by getting Initiative 93 on the Ballot in November:
- INITIATIVE 93 is a statewide measure that would raise 1.6 billion to be distributed to ALL COLORADO SCHOOL DISTRICTS and 92% of Coloradans would see NO INCREASE in their income taxes. The top 8% of earners and C-Corps would see a graduated increase in their income taxes. Non-Residential property taxes would actually decrease with the measure. If anyone is willing to get signatures on a petition anywhere in Colorado, please follow this link and someone will contact you--http://www.greatschoolsthrivingcommunities.org/volunteer.
- Mike Pompeo will have his confirmation vote. The Senate Foreign Relations Committee will vote on whether to recommend Mike Pompeo as Trump’s next Secretary of State on Monday, April 23. Even if he fails that vote, it’s likely that Majority Leader Mitch McConnell will force a final confirmation vote later in the week on the full Senate floor. Here’s our explainer and call script to #StopPompeo.
- The Senate Foreign Relations Committee will also consider extending Trump’s blank check for war. Senators Corker and Kaine have drafted a new Authorization for the Use of Military Force (AUMF) to give Trump the legal authority to wage war all over the world in the name of fighting terrorism. This new AUMF would replace the broad “war on terror” authorization passed in 2001, but it would still give Trump (and future presidents) too much power to unilaterally launch attacks anywhere they deem it necessary. You can read our explainer here.
- The Judiciary Committee will vote on the bill to protect the Mueller investigation. S. 2644, the Special Counsel Independence and Integrity Act introduced by Senators Booker, Coons, Graham, and Tillis, will be voted on by the Senate Judiciary Committee on Thursday, April 26. Even though McConnell has vowed not to bring the bill to the Senate floor, the last few weeks of uncertainty about whether Trump will cross a red line have made it clear that a strong committee vote can send a clear message that Congress will protect the investigation against Trump’s obstruction. Read our explainer and call script here.
* FIND THE PHONE #s FOR YOUR U.S. REPRESENTATIVES AND SENATORS HERE.
Upcoming Legislation - Watch these bills!
State of Colorado Legislation
Senate Bill 241/ Prohibiting LGBTQ+ people from Adoption and Foster Care
This bill not only discriminates against potential parents, it endangers children. Senate Bill 241 would supersede other laws that protect kids and would open the door to a wide range of physical, emotional, and psychological child abuse, as long as that abuse does not "imminently and seriously endanger a minor's physical health," and as long as the parents claimed it was based on religious beliefs or moral convictions.
Join us for a press conference in the west foyer of the Colorado State Capitol this Monday, April 23rd, at 12:30pm, with parents, faith leaders, adoption agencies, and child welfare groups to oppose this dangerous bill.
WHEN: Monday, April 23, 2018 at 12:30pm
WHERE: West foyer of the Colorado State Capitol (on the west side of the 1st floor near the base of the large staircase)
2. House Bill 1245/ Prohibiting Gay Conversion Therapy for Minors
This will will also be heard in Senate State, Veteran and Military Affairs on Monday, April 23rd at 1:30pm. Please contact the members of the committee (listed below) to voice your support of this bill.
Senate State, Military and Veteran's Affairs Committee Members to Contact
Vicki Marble email@example.com
Steve Fenberg firstname.lastname@example.org
Lois Court email@example.com
Jerry Sonnenberg firstname.lastname@example.org
Owen Hill email@example.com.
- (Immigration) H.R. Immigrant Witness and Victim Protection Act of 2018
To increase border security and to provide conditional provision residence to certain long-term residents who entered the United States as children.
To establish a grant program to assist States to establish or expand universal prekindergarten in public schools and public charter schools.
Upcoming Events - Go to these places!
Visit our Events Calendar to see upcoming events.