4/9 Weekly Call to Action
When Republicans passed the #GOPTaxScam in December, it was at historic levels of unpopularity (probably because it lined the pockets of the Trump family, his Cabinet, and wealthy members of Congress). Its unpopularity has stuck -- when voters in battleground Congressional districts are surveyed, they say they're less likely to support their MoCs for reelection if they voted in favor of the Tax Scam.
From April 10 to 17, there are Tax March events all across the country. This is the likely the last public opportunity we’ll have to make noise around the votes MoCs made on the Tax Scam, so let’s make it one that they will never forget and certainly regret. Find Tax March events in your area.
* And every week... Be sure to check out our Events Calendar often, as we add events daily to it.*
Call to Action - Do these things!
1. Boulder City Council Meeting- Next meeting is Tuesday, April 17th at 6pm
2. Attend a "Chats With Council" Event in Boulder- City Council is piloting a new engagement opportunity, called Chats with Council, in 2018.
Monday, April 30, 2018 @ 4 to 6 p.m. (40 people max)
East Boulder Community Center (just before and a little into the start of the What’s Up Boulder event), 5660 Sioux Drive
Mayor Suzanne Jones and Council Member Mary Young
Council Members Sam Weaver and Jill Grano
3. State of the City video - Watch the State of the City video to see what Boulder did in 2017 and what is planned for 2018.
State Actions - there is something for everyone!
Here is Your Chance to join the "Colorado Blue Wave" to Keep our House Blue and Take Back the Colorado Senate:
- HELP TAMMY STORY DEFEAT TIM NEVILLE in CO Senate district 16. He posts on his Facebook page things like: the "immigrant crime waves," shooting at a gun range with an AR-16, abortion doctors are commiting a felony, etc. Can you help flip this seat and with it, the control of the senate?? Yeah, that’s how big a deal this is. Colorado Votes is working hard to do just that. Contact Susanna Todaro to get plugged in, and join both Colorado Votes and Indivisible Colorado SD-16 to stay plugged in. FYI, Tammy Story is running for this seat: http://story4co.com/. Also FYI, for the armchair resistors, mosey over to his FB page and help counter the hate that lives there.
- HELP FAITH WINTER DEFEAT BETH HUMENIK in CO Senate district 24. Join Faith’s newsletter list to get updates on her campaign and how to help her win http://www.faithwinter.com
Or Join Us in Removing Mike Coffman from his U.S. House seat this November:
- WE ARE ORGANIZING IN COFFMAN’S DISTRICT -every weekend, and we’re starting *now* because we are up against piles of dark money flowing in to help Coffman succeed. We can BEAT that.
Or Help Raise Funds for Colorado's Public Schools by getting Initiative 93 on the Ballot in November:
- INITIATIVE 93 is a statewide measure that would raise 1.6 billion to be distributed to ALL COLORADO SCHOOL DISTRICTS and 92% of Coloradans would see NO INCREASE in their income taxes. The top 8% of earners and C-Corps would see a graduated increase in their income taxes. Non-Residential property taxes would actually decrease with the measure. If anyone is willing to get signatures on a petition anywhere in Colorado, please follow this link and someone will contact you--http://www.greatschoolsthrivingcommunities.org/volunteer.
- House Republicans want to vote on a “balanced budget amendment” to the Constitution. After voting to add $1.5 trillion to the deficit with the #GOPTaxScam, Republicans want to vote on a balanced budget amendment (read more on what that means here) to make you think they’re “serious” about fiscal responsibility. It is very unlikely that it passes the House -- it’s just a ruse so Republicans can pretend they care about the deficit.
- From April 10 to 17, there are Tax March events all across the country. This is likely the last public opportunity we’ll have to make noise around the votes MoCs made on the Tax Scam, so let’s make it one that they will never forget and certainly regret. Find Tax March events in your area.
- Mike Pompeo’s confirmation hearing will likely be April 12.Though it hasn’t been confirmed, the Senate Foreign Relations Committee will likely hold a confirmation hearing for Mike Pompeo to be Trump’s new Secretary of State next Thursday. We can hurt his chances of being confirmed if the committee votes him down -- use our call script to tell your senator to vote no on Pompeo.
* FIND THE PHONE #s FOR YOUR U.S. REPRESENTATIVES AND SENATORS HERE.
Upcoming Legislation - Watch these bills!
State of Colorado Legislation
- (Civil Rights) HB18-1256-Sunset Review of the Colorado Civil Rights Division- This bill has passed through the House and is going to the Senate Judiciary Committee. There have been some suggested amendments, but our coalition feels that "if it ain't broke, don't fix it"! Out of the cases heard before the commission, only 2% have gone on to the next step.
The bill is to be heard in the Senate Judiciary Committee on Wednesday, April 11th at 1:30. Senate Conference Room 352.
Please also contact the members of the Senate Judiciary Committee to voice your support:
Bob Gardner firstname.lastname@example.org
Rhonda Fields email@example.com
John Cooke firstname.lastname@example.org
Daniel Kagan email@example.com
Don Coram firstname.lastname@example.org
- (Education) New School Funding Distribution Formula -developed by school district superintendents-
Calculates a school district's (district's) total program funding by starting with statewide base per pupil funding and adding additional funding for student and district characteristics in the form of district factor funding as follows:
Size factor funding;
Poverty factor funding for students eligible for free or reduced-price meals;
English language learner factor funding, adjusted for district size;
Gifted child factor funding, adjusted for district size;
Special education factor funding, adjusted for disability and district size; and
Cost of living factor funding, limited to a percentage of statewide cost of living factor funding.
Please call members of the Colorado House Education Committee and let them know you support this more equitable way of distributing school monies- and remind them that 171 of 178 School District Superintendents in Colorado are behind it!
Brittany Pettersen D 303-866-2939
Janet P. Buckner D 303-866-2944
Jeff Bridges R 303-866-2921
Justin Everett R 303-866-2927
Tony Exum, Sr. D 303-866-3069
Pete Lee D 303-866-2932
Timothy Leonard R 303-866-2582
Paul Lundeen R 303-866-2924
Barbara McLachlan D 303-866-2914
Judy K. Reyher R 303-866-2905
Lang Sias R 303-866-2962
James D. Wilson R 303-866-2747
- (Immigration) H.R. Immigrant Witness and Victim Protection Act of 2018
To increase border security and to provide conditional provision residence to certain long-term residents who entered the United States as children.
To establish a grant program to assist States to establish or expand universal prekindergarten in public schools and public charter schools.
Upcoming Events - Go to these places!
Visit our Events Calendar to see upcoming events.