5/07 Weekly Call to Action
Congress heads back to work today, and Gina Haspel’s confirmation is at the top of their (and our) agenda.
While there’s much that’s being hidden about Gina Haspel’s long career at the CIA, what we do know is chilling. She personally helped torture detainees in a secret CIA-run prison, and then later destroyed the evidence. And the agency is standing behind her, refusing to release more information to the public in what Senator Martin Heinrich called “a full-on propaganda campaign”.
Her senate confirmation hearing will be on Wednesday. Voting will begin shortly after that. We can win this fight!
* And every week... Be sure to check out our Events Calendar often, as we add events daily to it.*
Call to Action - Do these things!
1. Boulder City Council Meeting- Next Meeting is Tuesday, May 15th at 6 p.m
2. Attend a "Chats With Council" Event in Boulder- City Council is piloting a new engagement opportunity, called Chats with Council, in 2018.
- Wednesday, May 2, 2018 @ 10 a.m. to noon (50 people max)
Google, 2930 Pearl St.
Council Members Cindy Carlisle, Lisa Morzel and Sam Weaver
3. State of the City video - Watch the State of the City video to see what Boulder did in 2017 and what is planned for 2018.
State Actions - there is something for everyone!
Here is Your Chance to join the "Colorado Blue Wave" to Keep our House Blue and Take Back the Colorado Senate:
- HELP TAMMY STORY DEFEAT TIM NEVILLE in CO Senate district 16. He posts on his Facebook page things like: the "immigrant crime waves," shooting at a gun range with an AR-16, abortion doctors are commiting a felony, etc. Can you help flip this seat and with it, the control of the senate?? Yeah, that’s how big a deal this is. Colorado Votes is working hard to do just that. Contact Susanna Todaro to get plugged in, and join both Colorado Votes and Indivisible Colorado SD-16 to stay plugged in. FYI, Tammy Story is running for this seat: http://story4co.com/. Also FYI, for the armchair resistors, mosey over to his FB page and help counter the hate that lives there.
- HELP FAITH WINTER DEFEAT BETH HUMENIK in CO Senate district 24. Join Faith’s newsletter list to get updates on her campaign and how to help her win http://www.faithwinter.com
Or Join Us in Removing Mike Coffman from his U.S. House seat this November:
- WE ARE ORGANIZING IN COFFMAN’S DISTRICT -every weekend, and we’re starting *now* because we are up against piles of dark money flowing in to help Coffman succeed. We can BEAT that.
Or Help Raise Funds for Colorado's Public Schools by getting Initiative 93 on the Ballot in November:
- INITIATIVE 93 is a statewide measure that would raise 1.6 billion to be distributed to ALL COLORADO SCHOOL DISTRICTS and 92% of Coloradans would see NO INCREASE in their income taxes. The top 8% of earners and C-Corps would see a graduated increase in their income taxes. Non-Residential property taxes would actually decrease with the measure. If anyone is willing to get signatures on a petition anywhere in Colorado, please follow this link and someone will contact you--http://www.greatschoolsthrivingcommunities.org/volunteer.
1. Stop Gina Haspel's nomination to lead the CIA. We cannot allow a war criminal to head this agency. Here’s how we’re going to #BlockHaspel:
- Visit our campaign resources page with everything you’ll need to have your senators publicly oppose Gina Haspel’s nomination for CIA Director.
- We also set up a toll-free number 855-980-2350 so you can easily call your senator directly and tell them to publicly oppose Haspel’s nomination.
- Text the word HASPEL to the number 977-79 to get the all latest updates on Haspel’s nomination.
Upcoming Legislation - Watch these bills!
State of Colorado Legislation
House Bill HB18-1436/ Extreme Risk Protection Orders
The bill creates the ability for a family or household member or a law enforcement officer to petition the court for a temporary extreme risk protection order (ERPO). The petitioner must establish by a preponderance of the evidence that a person poses a significant risk to self or others by having a firearm in her or her custody or control or by possessing, purchasing, or receiving a firearm. This bill is on the House Floor Monday. Please call your reps and request support.
Senate Bill SB18-200/Changes to the PERA Retirement System
This bill was sent to a conference committee to meet this Wednesday, May 9 at 10am. This is the final day of the legislative session.
Upcoming Events - Go to these places!
Besides our monthly meeting next Sunday, visit our Events Calendar to see upcoming events.