7/16/18 Weekly Call to Action
All over the country, everyday people are showing up in every single possible way to stop Brett Kavanaugh’s nomination because they know what’s at stake with SCOTUS. Key issues that affect us all hang in the balance like reproductive rights, access to health care, LGBTQ+ rights, environmental protections, voting rights, and much more. If confirmed, the extreme right-wing policies that Kavanaugh could enforce would rubber stamp Trump’s agenda for decades to come. We can’t and won’t let that happen without a fight.
The end of July marks two major milestones: one year since we defeated Trumpcare, and 100 days until the midterm elections. And if you know us Indivisibles, you know that we don’t waste moments like these -- We. Go. ALL. IN.
* Every week...be sure to check out our Events Calendar often, as we add events daily to it.*
Call to Action - Do these things!
- The next Boulder City Council Meeting is this Tuesday, July 17 at 6 p.m.
Consideration of a motion to approve land acquisition for Open Space and Mountain Parks
Continued first reading related to redevelopment of the property at 311 Mapleton, 2505 and 2525 4th Street
- Volunteer to be the next Indivisible Member to take on the task of creating this email each Sunday night. It is an important part of Indivisible Boulder's work each week. Our current volunteer is returning to her full time job in the middle of August. We would love to have you as her replacement! Contact us if you are interested.
First, a Celebration!
This past Wednesday, the Great Schools, Thriving Communities campaign (formerly Initiative 93) turned in 180,000 signatures – almost twice the signature requirement. We turned in petitions that met Amendment 71's required signature count in every single Senate District in the state. This is a HUGE accomplishment and it's the first step in improving funding for Colorado's severely under-funded public schools.
Now we have the opportunity to ask Colorado voters to join us in our mission to invest in our students, schools, and communities.
Here are three things you can do right now:
- Formally endorse the measure (if you haven't already) and send this link to other friends, organizations and businesses who would like to add their name.
- Tell us you'll volunteer to help us get the word out. (We'll update the tasks soon — in the meantime, let us know you're ready to step up!)
- Help us gear up for the campaign by making a donation today!
With advocates like you all across Colorado, we have no doubt that that we'll be successful.
Here are actions you can take to build our "Colorado Blue Wave" to Keep our House Blue and Take Back the Colorado Senate:
Currently serving in SD 16 (which is parts of Golden, JeffCo, Superior)- Tim Neville wants to arm teachers, punish sanctuary cities, prevent discounts on public transportation to low-income earners, and criminalize abortion.
Tammy Story has a record of supporting public education, she advocates for public lands, infrastructure sustainability, sensible gun laws, and equal pay for equal work. Here’s how to plug in to her campaign:
In Thornton and Westminster - Faith Winter stepped to the podium at the statehouse and never quit holding the powerful accountable. She’s running in senate district 24 in order to flip it.
Here’s how to plug in to her campaign:
📆 Weekly canvassing and other events can be found here: https://www.facebook.com/pg/FaithWinterCO/events/?ref=page_internal
📲 Sign up to volunteer directly: http://www.faithwinter.com/get-involved/
3. #WinTheSixth : In the 6th Congressional District-- Help Elect Jason Crow and give Mike Coffman the boot 👈
Aurora, Highlands Ranch, Centennial - Mike Coffman has been aptly described as “building great relationships with the groups he votes against.” He is a good politician in that way - branded as a moderat even though he votes 93% with the trump agenda.
Here’s how to plug directly in to the work to oust him:
Federal Actions (from Indivisible National)
- Learn about Trump’s pick for the Supreme Court. Catch up on Brett Kavanaugh and why he’s a threat to the Supreme Court in our resource here.
- Call your senators -- and keep calling! Find your personalized call script here, study them, and get ready to make your calls on Mondaymorning. You can also dial our toll-free number 1-844-778-3056 where you’ll hear a quick review of what to say to your senator’s office, and then we’ll connect you directly to their office. Make sure to call back and we’ll connect you to your other senator!
- Sign up for an upcoming #SaveSCOTUS phonebank. We’re making calls across the country into key Senate target states to turn up the pressure to take back the majority this November. Sign up now and we’ll keep you updated on our next shift.
- Don’t wait one more moment to register to vote. And make sure you get everyone you know to register, too -- just send them to our voter registration tool at indivisible.turbovote.org to get started
Upcoming Legislation - Watch these bills!
S.3123 - Fair Maps (Redistricting) Act of 2018 - To create a more representative and accountable Congress by prohibiting partisan gerrymandering and ensuring that any redistricting of congressional district boundaries results in fair, effective, and accountable representation for all people. Introduced by Senator Michael Bennet.
Upcoming Events - Go to these places!
Visit our Events Calendar to see upcoming events.