8/20/18 Weekly Call to Action
The House is still on recess. Show up at your representatives' offices. Even though the Senate is in session, you should still keep making those phone calls to them! Be sure to also include comments on blocking Kavanaugh to the Supreme Court.
* And every week...be sure to check out our Events Calendar often, as we add events daily to it.*
Call to Action - Do these things!
- City Council Meeting - Tuesday, August 21 @ 6pm. Public hearing covering:
- Second reading and consideration of a motion to add oil and gas pollution tax to the 2018 ballot.
- Consideration of a motion to direct staff to proceed with the next steps for flood mitigation concept variation regarding South Boulder Creek (public hearing for this item was held on Aug. 7; no further testimony will be heard).
- 12-1, “Prohibition of Discrimination in Housing, Employment, and Public Accommodations,” B.R.C. 1981, to protect against discrimination based on source of income or immigration status.
- View 8/14 Special City Council Meeting - You can see the recording of last week's special meeting HERE.
- Text Banking - Join Indivisible Boulder and Environmental Voter Project as we continue our GOTV efforts. Once all CO persons are contacted, we continue our efforts by reaching out to other states to make sure folks know when to vote. Our next event is next Tuesday (from 6-8:30pm). RSVP Today!
- Volunteer to be the next Indivisible Boulder Member to take on the task of creating this website post each Sunday night. It is an important part of Indivisible Boulder's work each week. If we can not find someone to do this task, we may not be able to provide them anymore. Contact us if you are interested: email@example.com.
Help Pass Amendment 73 (Great Schools Thriving Communities)
Petitioners turned in 180,000 signatures to the Secretary of State's office a few weeks ago in order to qualify to get on the November ballot. This was almost twice the signature requirement and is a HUGE accomplishment. Getting on the ballot was the first step in improving funding for Colorado's severely under-funded public schools. Now we have the opportunity to ask Colorado voters to join us in our mission to invest in our students, schools, and communities.
Here are three things you can do right now:
- Formally endorse the measure (if you haven't already) and send this link to other friends, organizations and businesses who would like to add their name.
- Tell us you'll volunteer to help us get the word out. (We'll update the tasks soon — in the meantime, let us know you're ready to step up!)
- Help us gear up for the campaign by making a donation today!
With advocates like you all across Colorado, we have no doubt that that we'll be successful.
Here are actions you can take to build our "Colorado Blue Wave" to Keep our House Blue and Take Back the Colorado Senate:
Currently serving in SD 16 (which is parts of Golden, JeffCo, Superior)- Tim Neville wants to arm teachers, punish sanctuary cities, prevent discounts on public transportation to low-income earners, and criminalize abortion.
Tammy Story has a record of supporting public education, she advocates for public lands, infrastructure sustainability, sensible gun laws, and equal pay for equal work. Here’s how to plug in to her campaign:
In Thornton and Westminster - Faith Winter stepped to the podium at the statehouse and never quit holding the powerful accountable. She’s running in senate district 24 in order to flip it.
Here’s how to plug in to her campaign:
📆 Weekly canvassing and other events can be found here: https://www.facebook.com/pg/FaithWinterCO/events/?ref=page_internal
📲 Sign up to volunteer directly: http://www.faithwinter.com/get-involved/
3. #WinTheSixth : In the 6th Congressional District-- Help Elect Jason Crow and give Mike Coffman the boot 👈
Aurora, Highlands Ranch, Centennial - Mike Coffman has been aptly described as “building great relationships with the groups he votes against.” He is a good politician in that way - branded as a moderat even though he votes 93% with the trump agenda.
For those of us in Boulder, there is weekly phone-banking on Wednesday evenings. Here’s how to plug directly in to the work to oust Mr. Coffman:
https://jasoncrowforcongress.com/ ---- mention that you are interested in the Wednesday phone banking if that's your thing.
If the Governor's and Attorney General's Races are your passion, consider these steps
1. We must continue to GOTV for Dems. Dems will generally vote for Jared Polis and Phil Weiser (the Dem AG candidate) if they show up, so they don't need persuasion--just need to show up.
2. Persuasion: the 1.2 million unaffiliated voters are the key persuasion target. We all have friends who are U's. Talk with them. Persuade them. More U's voted in the Dem primary than in the R primary. Let's make sure they vote for Dems in the general as well.
3. Keep after George Brauchler, the GOP (Republican) Attorney General candidate, on Twitter. He is rather Trumpian in his ability to get engaged on Twitter. He runs 2 handles: https://twitter.com/GeorgeBrauchler and https://twitter.com/GB4CO . He does some interesting things, especially in his replies to tweets--e.g., he recently called Joe Salazar a "Street Talker" (someone who talks like a poor person, per Merriam Webster). Some favorite topics for him are why he thinks Roe v Wade should be overturned, why he does not like Obamacare and thinks climate change is unfounded, and why he suppressed so many cases from public oversight.
Federal Actions (from Indivisible National)
Following the harrowing one year anniversary of the events in Charlottesville, Virginia, Indivisible National has created a Standing Indivisible Against White Supremacy tool on their website. Take the time to read through this and be sure to check out their further reading selections at the bottom.
Below are ongoing items you can be doing:
- Get the latest on #SaveSCOTUS. Check out our up-to-date campaign resource to get the state of play on Brett Kavanaugh, and what you can do to help keep up the pressure. And you can sign up a phonebanking shift to help contact voters in key states to help flip Senate seats and take back the majority this November.
- Sign up for The Last Weekend. They’ve joined forces with Swing Left and other groups to plan for a nationwide push to Get Out The Vote (GOTV) during the last weekend before the midterm elections! Sign up to commit to volunteer today.
- Register to vote. And make sure everyone you know is registered too -- we can’t build the blue wave without them! You can do it all through their registration website here: indivisible.turbovote.org