9/3/18 Weekly Call to Action
Last week, we said goodbye to Senator John McCain. This week, the Senate is holding the Kavanaugh confirmation hearings. Call your Senator everyday and stop Kavanaugh from being confirmed to the SCOTUS!
* And every week...be sure to check out our Events Calendar often, as we add events daily to it.*
Call to Action - Do these things!
- City Council Meetings this week:
- Tuesday, Sep 4 at 6:00 PM
- Consideration of a motion to accept the Library Master Plan and amend the Boulder Valley Comprehensive Plan to Update the Library Master Plan summary.
- Consideration of items related to the Outdoor Lighting Regulations and the Building Performance Ordinance.
- View 8/29 Special City Council Meeting - You can see the recording of last week's special meeting HERE.
- View 8/28 City Council Study Session - You can see the recording of last week's special meeting HERE.
Boulder Phone Bank for Jason Crow - Wednesday, September 5, 2018; 5:30 PM - 8:30 PM (ALL Wednesdays in September)
Call Norma Moore for exact location: 303-579-9771
We're calling swing voters in CD6 to move the needle on one of the nation's hottest races - Coffman/Crow. In order to win this district, we need to move 8% of the people who in 2016 voted for Hillary Clinton AND Mike Coffman. We can swing these voters!
New to phone banking? Colorado Votes will train you on the spot! Make new resistance friends and get free dinner and drinks at the end of the evening! Facebook Event Page
Postcardpalooza - Friday, September 7, 2018; 6:00 PM - 9:00 PM (ALL Fridays in September)
Hosted by Indivisible Front Range Resistance
Southern Sun Pub & Brewery, 627 S Broadway St, Boulder, Colorado 80305
We're saving America one postcard as a time. Who wants to help?
Postcard writing is for activists who are:
- mortally afraid of door-to-door canvassing
- would otherwise be at Costco on a Friday night
- still want to know how you can help
- have run out of friends and family who will listen to your political rants and need a receptive audience
That blue wave ain't gonna' create itself! Join us! It's fun, it's cathartic, and it's good for democracy.
*Postcards and scripts are provided, but if you've got a stack you're already working on, bring 'em.
Louisville Labor Day Parade - March With Jena Griswold!
March with Jena Griswold in support of Labor Day in the Louisville Labor Day Parade!
When: Tomorrow, September 3, 2018 at 9:30 AM – 11:30 PM
Where: Louisville Middle School, 1341 Main St, Louisville, Colorado 80027. Parking: Going east on South Boulder Road turn south onto Garfield Ave, or Sunset Drive, or Longs Peak Drive, or Jefferson Ave, or Circle Drive. Plan for a 3-5 block walk to the meeting area.
Tell Senator Michael Bennet to stop dragging his feet over the Kavanaugh vote.
We want a clear, unequivocal statement indicating that Kavanaugh is dangerous to generations of Americans' access to healthcare, reproductive choice, voting, marriage, fair working conditions, sensible gun laws, and campaign finance transparency, to name a few.
Call Senator Bennet's office Toll Free: 866-455-9866 or alternate: 303-455-7600. Here is a script:
"Your statement should be that Kavanaugh is unacceptably extreme to sit on the Supreme Court. And even if he weren't a a direct threat to civil rights, the current president is an unindicted co-conspirator in SEVERAL major federal investigations. Cancel this nomination."
Help Pass Amendment 73 (Great Schools Thriving Communities)
Petitioners turned in 180,000 signatures to the Secretary of State's office a few weeks ago in order to qualify to get on the November ballot. This was almost twice the signature requirement and is a HUGE accomplishment. Getting on the ballot was the first step in improving funding for Colorado's severely under-funded public schools. Now we have the opportunity to ask Colorado voters to join us in our mission to invest in our students, schools, and communities.
Here are three things you can do right now:
- Formally endorse the measure (if you haven't already) and send this link to other friends, organizations and businesses who would like to add their name.
- Tell us you'll volunteer to help us get the word out. (We'll update the tasks soon — in the meantime, let us know you're ready to step up!)
- Help us gear up for the campaign by making a donation today!
With advocates like you all across Colorado, we have no doubt that that we'll be successful.
Here are actions you can take to build our "Colorado Blue Wave" to Keep our House Blue and Take Back the Colorado Senate:
Currently serving in SD 16 (which is parts of Golden, JeffCo, Superior)- Tim Neville wants to arm teachers, punish sanctuary cities, prevent discounts on public transportation to low-income earners, and criminalize abortion.
Tammy Story has a record of supporting public education, she advocates for public lands, infrastructure sustainability, sensible gun laws, and equal pay for equal work. Here’s how to plug in to her campaign:
In Thornton and Westminster - Faith Winter stepped to the podium at the statehouse and never quit holding the powerful accountable. She’s running in senate district 24 in order to flip it.
Here’s how to plug in to her campaign:
📆 Weekly canvassing and other events can be found here: https://www.facebook.com/pg/FaithWinterCO/events/?ref=page_internal
📲 Sign up to volunteer directly: http://www.faithwinter.com/get-involved/
3. #WinTheSixth : In the 6th Congressional District-- Help Elect Jason Crow and give Mike Coffman the boot 👈
Aurora, Highlands Ranch, Centennial - Mike Coffman has been aptly described as “building great relationships with the groups he votes against.” He is a good politician in that way - branded as a moderat even though he votes 93% with the trump agenda.
For those of us in Boulder, there is weekly phone-banking on Wednesday evenings. Here’s how to plug directly in to the work to oust Mr. Coffman:
https://jasoncrowforcongress.com/ ---- mention that you are interested in the Wednesday phone banking if that's your thing.
CANVASSING - Want to walk in your own neighborhood, on your own time? Julia Bristor can get you plugged in to all you need for local canvassing - walk lists, training, scripts, and flyers. Contact her at firstname.lastname@example.org.
PHONEBANK - The Colorado Democratic Party has regular weekly phonebanks from now until the elections at the Denver office at 789 Sherman St from 5-7:30PM. Please email Meike Babel at email@example.com to RSVP.
If the Governor's and Attorney General's Races are your passion, consider these steps
1. We must continue to GOTV for Dems. Dems will generally vote for Jared Polis and Phil Weiser (the Dem AG candidate) if they show up, so they don't need persuasion--just need to show up.
2. Persuasion: the 1.2 million unaffiliated voters are the key persuasion target. We all have friends who are U's. Talk with them. Persuade them. More U's voted in the Dem primary than in the R primary. Let's make sure they vote for Dems in the general as well.
3. Keep after George Brauchler, the GOP (Republican) Attorney General candidate, on Twitter. He is rather Trumpian in his ability to get engaged on Twitter. He runs 2 handles: https://twitter.com/GeorgeBrauchler and https://twitter.com/GB4CO . He does some interesting things, especially in his replies to tweets--e.g., he recently called Joe Salazar a "Street Talker" (someone who talks like a poor person, per Merriam Webster). Some favorite topics for him are why he thinks Roe v Wade should be overturned, why he does not like Obamacare and thinks climate change is unfounded, and why he suppressed so many cases from public oversight.
Federal Actions (from Indivisible National)
Find a list of Indivisible-endorsed candidates for Congress HERE.
Here’s how you hold your members of Congress (and Trump) accountable:
- Find out where your senators stand on Kavanaugh. Our policy team has put together a handy tracker to find out whether your senator has publicly opposed, supported, or is on the fence. If you want to go the extra mile, there are even judiciary staff contacts for each senator listed in the tracker that you can email to voice your opposition!
- Democratic senators must speak up. It’s important to publicly oppose Kavanaugh ahead of the confirmation hearings coming up on September 4. There are still key Democrats that need to voice their position, like Senators Donnelly, Heitkamp, and Manchin. And Senator Schumer must especially work to whip the votes and keep Democrats together.
- Flip key Republicans. We still haven’t heard Senator Murkowski’s stance, and though Senator Collins is leaning “yes,” that doesn’t mean that there isn’t enough time to change her mind with strong constituent opposition. You can find our updated call scripts here and start making calls on Monday.
Below are ongoing items you can be doing:
- Get the latest on #SaveSCOTUS. Check out our up-to-date campaign resource to get the state of play on Brett Kavanaugh, and what you can do to help keep up the pressure. And you can sign up a phonebanking shift to help contact voters in key states to help flip Senate seats and take back the majority this November.
- Sign up for The Last Weekend. They’ve joined forces with Swing Left and other groups to plan for a nationwide push to Get Out The Vote (GOTV) during the last weekend before the midterm elections! Sign up to commit to volunteer today.
- Register to vote. And make sure everyone you know is registered too -- we can’t build the blue wave without them! You can do it all through their registration website here: indivisible.turbovote.org
- Explore Indivisible resources to help win elections. Indivisible has put together a guide for winning elections.
Upcoming Legislation - Watch these bills!
H.R. 6692 - To require the Secretary of Homeland Security to use alternatives to detention for certain vulnerable immigrant populations, and for other purposes. Introduced by Senator Anthony Brown (D-MD).
S.3123 - Fair Maps (Redistricting) Act of 2018 - To create a more representative and accountable Congress by prohibiting partisan gerrymandering and ensuring that any redistricting of congressional district boundaries results in fair, effective, and accountable representation for all people. Introduced by Senator Michael Bennet.
Upcoming Events - Go to these places!
Visit our Events Calendar to see upcoming events.